Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Biodiversity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #161
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Gettin' a little taste of typical southern summer weather up north I hear. Misery loves company so go on ahead and vent, then put your feet up, cool yourself with a big 'ol fan, sittin' in your rocking chair out in the shade of the veranda and sip on some lemonade or sweet tea. That's why our weeds wait until late fall to get cleared out (and pretty much all other gardening chores.)
We don't have verandas up North.

~sigh~ the chores I wanted to finish in *spring* never got fully completed...are you telling me I have to wait until fall to get more done!?! Yikes...what a mess! (I can't wait until it is all natives, then I won't view it as a mess...and there will be a lot less upkeep...I hope.)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #162
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I say veranda, you say porch, whatever.

You don't need to get forced indoors, a young(ish) man like yourself! Get yourself one of those hats with the battery powered mini fan that clips on the visor so you look like one of those silly guys at Disneyworld. I have several long terry cloth covered ice packs I wrap around the back of my neck when it gets real bad. Covering your head really cuts down on the heat. Soak a bandana in ice water and tie it around you forehead, maybe around your wrists too. You could look like Rambo!

Menopause will really make you search out some cooling tricks, luckily you don't have to deal with that! I keep a box fan under my desk and by the bed, now I need the fan to sleep.

Mess is in the eyes of the beholder, so give yourself a break and don't work TOO hard out there and get heat stroke. I know you've got the gals (and a guy or two?) coming this fall so you're pushing to get things done but just chill, literally!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #163

Quote:
I say veranda, you say porch, whatever.
Well, we don't have a porch either--well, at least not a covered one...yet.

Quote:
...a young(ish) man like yourself!
"Young(ish) man"...I'll take it!

Quote:
You could look like Rambo!
"Rambo"...hmm...well, I could surely do worse.

Quote:
Menopause will really make you search out some cooling tricks, luckily you don't have to deal with that! I keep a box fan under my desk and by the bed, now I need the fan to sleep.
Er...wait a minute, *I* sleep with a fan on... ...hmm...?

Quote:
Mess is in the eyes of the beholder, so give yourself a break and don't work TOO hard out there and get heat stroke. I know you've got the gals (and a guy or two?) coming this fall so you're pushing to get things done but just chill, literally!
I *wish* I were getting stuff done! So far, very little to speak of...and here I was expecting this upcoming visit to light a fire under me! (If something doesn't kick in soon, I don't know what to I'll do.)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #164
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

My little foldout pocket guide was no help. These are all in an area around Central Terminal where a pollinator garden is underway, by a former garden center guy. Some spots appear to have been purposely hit with Roundup, and there are poppies blooming too, so possibly it was started with a wildflower seed mix.

What's Blooming Now 2013-p1520515flowerblue.jpg

What's Blooming Now 2013-p1520520white.jpg

What's Blooming Now 2013-p1520524mauve.jpg like a huge clover

What's Blooming Now 2013-p1520584yellow.jpg

What's Blooming Now 2013-p1520506poppy.jpg
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
My little foldout pocket guide was no help...Attachment 37414

Attachment 37415

Attachment 37416 like a huge clover

Attachment 37417

Attachment 37418
(I'm guessing) cornflower, yarrow, red clover, mustard, and (as you said) poppy).

By the way, none are natives...with the possible exception of the yarrow--I learned here on WG that yarrow could be native--or some populations of them are...others, I believe are from Europe.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #166

Why would someone doing a project, someone knowledgable of plants, actually be planting non- natives??? I have to photograph the signage for that project.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #167
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Oh no, not the dreaded "Meadow in a Can" - classic mistake.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #168

~~~~~~
Old 07-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #169
1st Place Winner DIY Catchall Contest

Quote:
True that Viceroy!

Gettin' a little taste of typical southern summer weather up north I hear. Misery loves company so go on ahead and vent, then put your feet up, cool yourself with a big 'ol fan, sittin' in your rocking chair out in the shade of the veranda and sip on some lemonade or sweet tea. That's why our weeds wait until late fall to get cleared out (and pretty much all other gardening chores.)
Yessum, unfortunately I can watch the weeds grow here, especially now, if I wait too long I'll have to bush hog. I work in the yard, take a dip in the pool, work some more take a dip. And stop every now and then to take it all in.
Viceroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Why would someone doing a project, someone knowledgable of plants, actually be planting non- natives??? I have to photograph the signage for that project.
I don't have an answer for you. I know stores sell something called "wildflowers in a can" or something, but they are not true wildflowers...at least not here...they are not native to North America...and even if they were they are no indigenous to all parts of our country. Things that grow well in the Northeast surely are not adapted to the Southwest as a broad example.

What is sad to me is that it is likely that they pass those off as wildflowers to their customers.

Tags
2013, bloom, blooming, blooms, flowers, native plants, natives, photos, plants, spring, spring blooms, spring flowers, spring time, spring wildflowers