Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Aquatic Animals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default Know your jellyfish

Know your jellyfish:
some sting, some don't
by Dr J Floor Anthoni

Know your jellyfish
excerpt from above:
Quote:
All cnidaria have stinging cells (cnidocytes), capable of inflicting rashes, stings or even burns. The animals can make these amazing cells at such rate that they can be used as dispensible tools. They can have different types, for stinging, sticking and gripping. The one shown in the diagram is of most concern to us since it is what causes the feared sting. The skin of a jellyfish tentacle is studded with these stinging cells. Each has a trigger hair (cnidocil) that activates a nerve circuit to unlatch the lid (operculum) and at the same time compress the cell. Several adjacent cells can be triggered simultaneously. Inside the capsule, the harpoon and its stinging thread (nematocyst) are ejected under pressure. The barbed harpoon is filled with poisons and everts itself like turning a finger of a rubber glove inside out, punching a hole in one's skin, releasing the poisons and pushing the thread into the punctured skin, to release even more poison. Once used, a stinging cell is discarded and replaced within two days. It is so amazing that such a complicated double-walled structure is made by a single cell!
Old 04-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Forgive me.... I can't resist. It's a photo from my email that dropped my jaw to the desk.
Attached Thumbnails
Know your jellyfish-forreal.jpg  
Old 04-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Forgive me.... I can't resist. It's a photo from my email that dropped my jaw to the desk.
This appears to be a composite image. The largest known jellyfish has a maximum bell diameter of a little more than seven feet - see Lion's mane jellyfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

It's a hoax!!! Bummer. I thought I had a really special new invasive species from an e-mail. The fake photo is impressive. I take it somebody photo shopped it somehow?
Old 04-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
Unicellular Fungi

My dear Lib, I believe you were had.
Giant Jellyfish
Giant Jellyfish Optical Illusion | Mighty Optical Illusions
Giant Jellyfish on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 04-24-2010, 12:19 AM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

It's not the first time.... it won't be the last.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
It's a hoax!!! Bummer. I thought I had a really special new invasive species from an e-mail. The fake photo is impressive. I take it somebody photo shopped it somehow?
Yep, actually a fairly easy one to Photoshop.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:58 AM   #8
WG Staff

Default Giant deep sea jellyfish filmed in Gulf of Mexico

Giant deep sea jellyfish filmed in Gulf of Mexico
By Jody Bourton
Earth News reporter
Page last updated at 11:35 GMT, Friday, 23 April 2010 12:35 UK

BBC - Earth News - Giant deep sea jellyfish filmed in Gulf of Mexico
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Remarkable footage of a rarely seen giant deep sea jellyfish has been recorded by scientists.

Using a remotely operated vehicle (ROV), they captured a video of the huge Stygiomedusa gigantea...

Tags
aquatic species, bbc, cnidaria, cnidocytes, deep sea jellyfish, earth news, giant jellyfish, gigantea, gulf of mexico, jellyfish, jellyfish species, lion's mane jellyfish, nematocyst, ocean, ocean life, ocean wildlife, oceans, sea life, sting, stinging cells, stings, stygiomedusa, stygiomedusa gigantea, tentacles