Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Aquatic Animals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
WG Staff

Default Male pregnancy and abortion: The sex life of pipefish

Male pregnancy and abortion: The sex life of pipefish
Wed Mar 17, 2:21 pm ET
Yahoo News

Male pregnancy and abortion: The sex life of pipefish - Yahoo! News
excerpt from above:
Quote:
The male pipefish can carry between five and 40 offspring in its transparent pouch, and nurtures them to term after a pregnancy lasting between 12 and 14 days.

But a new study shows that the pipefish is more than a piscatorial gender-bender.

It also chooses which of the brood survives, on the basis of the mother's attractiveness.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
WG Staff

Default A marine Mr. Mom: Male pipefish gives birth, but some are deadbeat dads, study shows

A marine Mr. Mom: Male pipefish gives birth, but some are deadbeat dads, study shows
March 17, 2010
Provided by Texas A&M University

http://www.physorg.com/news188045992.html
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Kim Paczolt and Adam Jones, researchers in the Department of Biology, found that the male pipefish can be a nurturing father as it tends its young before giving birth, but later it may not choose to make the effort. The key factor for this attitude: How the male feels about the mother.
The study was funded by the National Science Foundation and the findings are published in the current issue of Nature magazine.

The Texas A&M researchers studied consecutive broods in male Gulf pipefish to understand why some offspring survive while others do not. Their results reveal that...
Old 03-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Heron

Male Pipefish (and seahorses) cannot get pregnant. The male didn't produce the eggs he carries, the female did, and she then placed them in the male's pouch, so he's just tending to the eggs while they develop. I find this to be annoying and misleading when they use terminology like "pregnant male" in talking about seahorses and pipefish, but I guess that's typical of the media nowadays, go for the hook even if they have to bend the truth.

John
Old 03-18-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
Salamander

I am on Stanfords feed list. Their release reports the male as being pregnant-
SCOPE - medical blog - Stanford University School of Medicine
Old 03-18-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
Heron

Here's a definition of pregnancy that makes sense to me:

pregnancy - The period following conception during which a developing embryo and later fetus is carried within the uterus.

From what I can see, only a female can truly be pregnant. My $.02 worth anyway.

John
Old 03-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
Unicellular Fungi

Aw shucks jpdenk. Your definition is somewhat dated. Arnold Schwarzenegger's character in the movie Junior is proof.

Tags
abortion, aquatic species, gulf pipefish, horse, life, male, male seahorse, marine life, nurture, nurturing, ocean life, ocean species, offspring, pipefish, piscatorial, pregnancy, reproduce, reproduction, sea, sea horses, seahorse, seahorses, sex, survival, survive