View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 12:31 AM   #16
jpdenk
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
jpdenk> Datura stramonium is in the Nightshade/Solanaceae Family, PLANTS Profile for Datura stramonium (jimsonweed) | USDA PLANTS. It's aka Jimsonweed.
dapjwy> I'd scare everybody if I used a photo of ragweeded me as an avatar.... it's not a pretty sight.
Poor wording on my part: I knew that the Datura is in the Solanaceae,what I meant was that it might be something else in that family other than Datura. I was thinking it was maybe Horse Nettle, Solanum carolinense, but I didn't look at the full-res photo. Now that I did, I see that there are no spines, so it can't be that. I've seen something else that looks like Horse Nettle but without the spines, but I'll be darned if I can find anything like that in my field guides. So maybe it is a young specimen of Datura. When I compare the size of the plant to other things in the photo, it looks to small to be Datura. Or maybe it's just a young specimen of that species.

I guess the only way to tell for sure is to let it grow and bloom, that will make it easy to ID with certainty.

John