View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
jpdenk
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Still no call backs from any of the rehabbers. I know they screen their calls to avoid telling people they don't take in orphan kittens or skunks but I did spell out I had an opossum. I'm willing to drive her or have her driven to a rehabber. I've done this before with other small animals. I can't commit to the time of providing for this one. I'm in a different stage of life than I was with the others I cared for. They need to eat every hour. I took off work today... I'll take off work tomorrow... and I'll take off the following day until I can get her somewhere that will take care of her properly but I need her somewhere before next Monday. She's got a chance of making it but I need to pass her on.
In the past, I've seen dead mother Opossums with living babies in the pouch a couple times, one hit by a car and one hit by a train, but had no idea what to do about it. It sounds like most animal-rescue organizations would be hard-pressed to provide the necessary care for the babies. Harsh as it seems, it may be best to just let nature take its course.

It was awfully hard to leave them there, but that's what I did. I couldn't take care of them, and apparently no one else is willing or able to. Opossums are very common animals around here, maybe if they were endangered it would be different.

Still, it's incredibly troubling and sad to see.

John