View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 09:10 PM   #5
dapjwy
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Hi, dap! The one trick with a stream or waterfall in a deciduous forest is to get really good netting and put it up when the acorns start falling, here about 2-3 weeks before the leaves), and leave it on til all the leaves are down. The acorns are really high in nitrogen and cause way too much algae.
I recall reading your posts regarding the netting. It occurred to me, while putting in my pond, that I may need to do the same.

My pond is not really in a wooded area...but there are some trees nearby...and a large tree probably 100 feet away--most of its leaves stay not more than 25 feet away. Some leaves do blow in from trees that are closer.

There is a lot of open space around the pond and the slope where I will add the stream and waterfall. Time will tell if I will have to employ the netting.

Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
This is the first time I have had the pond and stream mucked out since I put it in around ten years ago. My fish and plants have been fine, but I decided it was time, and I am not physically able to do it myself. It is impressive how much muck is coming out.

Apparently the Ion-gen and other cooper devices are great in decorative ponds and waterfalls without fish and amphibians. There are enough anecdotes on line of them killing fish that I have decided not to put one in, though the pond guys want to do it ($700!). String algae is an aesthetic problem, not an ecological one.
What do you plan to do with the muck?

I am hoping to create a wetland below my main pond. Muck would be great for that. I plan to add Iris versicolor, skunk cabbage, various sedges, and other natives to this area.

Quote:
I have been having health issues and haven’t been psyched to post, but will try to do so. I miss y’all!
So sorry to hear about your health problems. I have been away for too long...making sporadic forays back over the years. Over the past few weeks, I have tried to check in more often.

Great seeing you post. We all seem to miss the golden age of WG. Hopefully, you will be feeling better...and finding more time to post.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote