View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #33
dapjwy
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetree View Post
Probably the last thing most of us are thinking about in the middle of July is cloning our shrubs and trees.

But you may want to clone that crab-apple that doesn't suffer blights and the birds really love the berries on.

You want to find a place out of direct sunlight and good loose soil; Make your hardwood cutting about 6 inches long and take 3 inches of leaves off and stick it in the ground.

The trick is covering the cutting with a glass jar; This helps the cutting from drying out

After a month you can remove the jar to see if any new growth has started
Now that, I'd like to try. I definitely want more of the lone Malus coronaria on the property. Obviously, I prefer ore genetic diversity, but until I start seeing seedlings, I'll settle for clones.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~

Last edited by dapjwy; 07-26-2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Getting the correct spelling for the species name)
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote