Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Birds Including Raptors & Hummers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #21
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runmede View Post
Magnetic Pole Shift Causing Chaos & Death | World News Insight
Would anyone believe a magnetic pole shift?
Either that or extra-terrestrial activity...
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:04 AM   #22
WG Operations, Facilitator

Mass Animal Deaths Tracked by Google Maps
by Jennifer Viegas
Fri Jan 7, 2011
Discovery News

Quote:
The recent mass deaths of birds, fish, crabs, manatees, penguins and other animals are now being tracked by Google Maps.
Google Maps - Mass Animal Deaths
Old 01-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #23
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
I hope they figure out the real reason soon~
The latest findings (based on necropsies) appear to leave a major question unanswered. 'Blunt trauma' was the proximate cause of death, but the actual startle mechanism, whether fireworks, lightening, or something else, triggered the birds' panic flight remains undetermined. At least poisoning, either accidental or intentional, has been ruled out - see http://www.promedmail.org/pls/apex/f..._ID:1000,86580

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #24
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

So why is it that the local officials or meterorologists have not confirmed lightening or some weather event as being consistent with the time and place of these mass deaths?

At least in the one bird incident, fireworks were promptly confirmed to have occurred where the blackbirds died.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #25
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Some things die just from terror... Fish for instance and I think rabbits will as well. Maybe birds also share this infliction....

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #26
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Some things die just from terror... Fish for instance and I think rabbits will as well. Maybe birds also share this infliction....
I don't know about all birds, but I do know some types of domestic birds can have what they call night frights and the panic can result in heart attacks. I know I've read in some literature somewhere that birds can be frightened to death or startled to death.

Down here in SC we just had a major fish kill on Folly Beach. The fish in question were menhaden, a small bait fish. They stretched down the beach, just above the high tide line stinkin to high heaven. The speculation here is that weather and temps were responsible. Menhaden swim near the surface and they think these were trapped in the shallows between sand bars making them more susceptible to the colder surface temps.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #27
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Ahhh I see you have a new avatar...Niiice

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:46 AM   #28
The Bug Whisperer

From the Christian Science Monitor (Blackbird mystery deepens: more birds fall from sky in Louisiana - CSMonitor.com)

"The United States Geological Survey has noted 16 incidents in the past 30 years where more than 1,000 black birds have died at the same time, usually the result of tightly-packed flocks flying into bad weather. What's more, more than 5 billion birds die of natural causes in the United States each year, so it is, in a way, unusual that Americans don't witness more major bird kills."

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #29
Grub

Today, I have a huge flock of Robins, Cedar Wax Wings, etc. drinking and eating in my yard. We are in a weather alcove in my area. The weather maps show bad weather further south, on the east coast, and further north. Here we are predicted to get only about one inch of snow. I can see that this sudden cold spell would get wildlife, esp., birds caught and that they would have a hard time surviving in area where there are freezing temps (with ice covering food sources and freezing water).
Old 01-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #30
Great Horned Owl

Default Conspiracies don't kill birds; people do

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/18/sc...ml?_r=1&ref=us

"“Five billion birds die in the U.S. every year,” said Melanie Driscoll, a biologist and director of bird conservation for the Gulf of Mexico and Mississippi Flyway for the National Audubon Society."

"Some of the biggest death traps are surprising. Almost everyone has an experience with a pet proudly bringing home a songbird in its jaws. Nationally, domestic and feral cats kill hundreds of millions of birds each year, according to the government. One study done in Wisconsin found that domestic rural cats alone (thus excluding a large number of suburban and urban cats) killed roughly 39 million birds a year."

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animal deaths, arkansas, bird, bird behavior, birds, black, black birds, blackbirds, dead, dead birds, death, die, drop, en masse, fall, falling, fly, flying, google maps, hypothermic, mysterious, mystery, pressure, sky, upwelling