Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Butterflies & Moths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #111
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Hummingbird moth on some tatty monarda.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-moth.jpg  
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #112
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrILoveTheAnts View Post
The adult form of the Squash Borer is actually a striking wasp mimic. And what's more surprising is to learn it's actually a Lepidoptera.
I think this is the bug i had been chasing around my yard at the beginning of july, but never could get a good photo of it. Thanx for posting the pics!
Old 08-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #113
Salamander

A Spicebush Swallowtail came by and was flitting around...then made a beeline for the Spicebush that I have covered by a screened cage! She knew what that plant was, but couldn't get to it, because I already have caterpillars on it and was protecting them. Oh well, I removed the cage and she went to lay an egg. She had already laid two eggs on the uncovered very small Spicebush (it had been a medium size when the drought and heat got too bad last year, just about died and had to come back from the roots). Hope I have enough foliage for these!
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-spicebush-5a.jpg  
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:00 AM   #114
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

I'm surprised spicebushes grow there, they grow in such cool, wet, shady areas around here. I was struck by your picture of the red-spotted purple caterpillar too, I've been looking for one ever since. I did see a fresh perfect adult today on some dry gravel, but no pics, so I'll post this worn-out one instead. It lit on this tray of seedlings right after they were watered.

What's Flying Around-dsc06662.jpg What's Flying Around-dsc06665.jpg

This is only the second monarch I've seen this year, so I spent some time trying to get decent pictures.There's a little cucumber beetle in the second picture.

What's Flying Around-dsc06692.jpgWhat's Flying Around-dsc06701.jpgWhat's Flying Around-dsc06710.jpg
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #115
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp thing View Post
This is only the second monarch I've seen this year, so I spent some time trying to get decent pictures.There's a little cucumber beetle in the second picture.

I love the third pic.

I've not seen any monarchs this year...yet.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #116
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Really nice monarch photos! I am surprised you haven't seen many this year yet. I have been to NE PA twice this summer and saw them everywhere I went.
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #117
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

Thanks! There were lots last year, and lots of caterpillars but I haven't seen a single monarch caterpillar yet.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:58 PM   #118

Quote:
This is only the second monarch I've seen this year, so I spent some time trying to get decent pictures...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Really nice monarch photos! I am surprised you haven't seen many this year yet. I have been to NE PA twice this summer and saw them everywhere I went.
After posting that I haven't seen any monarchs yet, I went out and saw one on my butterfly weed! I only had my cell phone with me and was actually on the phone and had to hang up before I could take the pictures.

A short time later I saw my second closer to the house...I find it hard to believe that it passed me without me seeing it, so I feel confident that it was another butterfly.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-monarch2.jpg  
Old 08-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #119

Quote:
Thanks! There were lots last year, and lots of caterpillars but I haven't seen a single monarch caterpillar yet.
I wonder if I tell you all that I haven't seen any monarch caterpillars yet either, then go outside and look, I'll find some! (Hey it worked last time!)

Seriously, I didn't see any monarch caterpillars last year, but this year I'm adding more milkweeds, so we'll see. Next year, I'm expecting to attract more of them.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #120
A Bee's Best Friend

Here in Chicago there have been a few Monarchs in the garden lately. The common milkweed has been slow growing while every thing else is huge. Maybe too much water? It has been raining so often. We received about 7 inches in one night just over a week ago. Flooded the whole yard for a few hours. The fireflies are gone and the slug population is beginning to increase just in time to feed,hopefully, all those firefly larvae left behind.

If you look closely in the center of the Joe-pye (in the raingarden) you will see a Monarch.
Attached Thumbnails
What's Flying Around-hawkweed-august-014.jpg  

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bee, bees, buckeye, butterflies, butterfly, common blue, danaus, eastern tiger, flying, flying insects, insect, insects, monarch, moth, moths, pearl crescent, pholisora catullus, photo, photos, plexippus, sootywing, spicebush swallowtail, swallowtail, variegated frittilary, wood nymph