Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Woodies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
I was talking to a naturalist about that this morning and he said most natives are adapted to this fluctuating conditions and the freeze warnings apply mostly to fruit trees and AG. crops. The service berry in my area is already in bloom so I hope he is right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I'd agree with the guy you talked to....
Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
Let's hope this freeze throws some of the invasives for a loop! The only natives I see blooming right now are a few bloodroots, which I had never known to be an especially early species before. Marsh marigolds are just ready to go, but haven't quite opened up yet. Definitely a lot of woodies have broken bud, though. I expect they'll be OK.
Thanks of the reassurance, everyone; I hope you all are right. I expect a lot from the natives. I expect them to handle stuff like this...but I remember being shocked two years ago or so, when there was a late frost that destroyed the new leaves of a seedling white oak that I'd planted the year before. I figured it would be fine...but then again, they leaf out much later in the year, so maybe that was the difference. The other trees were fine. I was more concerned because it was a freeze. I'd hate to lose the blossoms...but worse than that, I'd hate to lose the berries for the birds.

As for the bloodroots and marsh marigolds--mine are not blooming yet. I've not seen the bloodroot at all (although I do think of it as an early bloomer)...and the marsh marigold is still small with just a few leaves. I feel so far behind the rest of you!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Let's hope this freeze throws some of the invasives for a loop!
Now for the invasives...what are the chances the freeze will hit the garlic mustard that I've yet to pull? (Wouldn't that be nice!?)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 03-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
WG Facebook Administrator

Well, I don't know about the invasives, but the freeze definitely killed off a few bok choy seedlings! There are supposed to be two more freezes this week. Guess I should move my containers inside those nights. Not upset about losing a few seedlings, but a good many more would be disappointing.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
Heron

Quote:
Well, I don't know about the invasives, but the freeze definitely killed off a few bok choy seedlings! There are supposed to be two more freezes this week. Guess I should move my containers inside those nights. Not upset about losing a few seedlings, but a good many more would be disappointing.
The lettuce and cabbage I start early in my beds I'll cover with a upside down flower pot for the night if there is going to be a frost the seem to do fine. You can try that if you can't move them all back inside.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #15

By the way, my serviceberry buds seem fine.

Unfortunately none of the garlic mustard was damaged...but it looks like the new leaves of Curly Dock (Rumex crispus) were wilted and browing today...not that I don't expect them to send up more leaves from the root.

Anyway, my serviceberry is fine! (Gotta focus on the good.)
Old 03-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #16
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
By the way, my serviceberry buds seem fine.

Unfortunately none of the garlic mustard was damaged...but it looks like the new leaves of Curly Dock (Rumex crispus) were wilted and browing today...not that I don't expect them to send up more leaves from the root.

Anyway, my serviceberry is fine! (Gotta focus on the good.)
I'm glad your serviceberries are OK all my natives seem to be fine but the wife's Hydrangeas got whacked but good.

P.S. whats up with all the zombies?
Old 03-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #17
Official Plant Nerd

"Now for the invasives...what are the chances the freeze will hit the garlic mustard that I've yet to pull?" Ummm.... slim to none. Wait until they grow out a little more and get some height to em then rip em out after a nice long rain. They'll slide out of the ground like buttah!!! You'll feel a deep sense of satisfaction wasting em and you'll be exercising your arms at the same time. Try to rip em out right now while they're too little and it's a lot harder.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #18
Heron

Ahhhhh i"ve been infected!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

Ohhhhhh.... aren't you a lil cutie!!! They're in fine form today aren't they!!!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #20
Offical Silphium Abuser

The only plant that seems to have been damaged by the freeze here was a crape myrtle; the serviceberry just kept on blooming.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blossoms, bud, budding, early, early spring, fast, forward, freeze, frost, leaf buds, puts, spring, temperature fluctuations, temperatures, trees, warm, weather