Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Woodies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
WG Staff

Default Native white-flowering trees for spring

Native white-flowering trees for spring
Your yard will be alight with white when you plant these native trees to brighten spring.
By Amy Ziffer / May 6, 2011

Native white-flowering trees for spring - CSMonitor.com
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Itís spring in southern New England! Still, with deciduous trees still bare and most of the understory just waking up, the landscape remains largely brown and gray.

But in a few short weeks, wherever there are trees, thereíll be shade. White flowers show up beautifully against both backgrounds, which may explain why so many of our native trees and shrubs have them.

We all know and love the flowering dogwood thatís so emblematic of our eastern woodlands, but in this post Iíd like to sing the praises of two lesser known treesÖ
Old 11-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Rock Star

Spring, can we think of, dream of spring yet?
Why, it's not even winter!
Fringe and shad are beautiful trees and I do like the white blooms.
I have 1 serviceberry and it only blooms every other year.
Maybe the other white blooms mentioned, dogwoods will bloom for me this year, 2 pagoda dogwoods.
Looking forward to spring but need it to be winter before I plan next years additions.
Are you rushing it a bit Staff?
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
Heron

Well it's close now... I just placed my seed order at prairie moon, Received my Shumway and Jungs catalog in the last week and decided that ordering early would ensure a good selection. American Mountain Ash has a blanket of white flowers in the spring, Has small berries that ripen just around the time birds are flying south and only grows 20 to 30 ft.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #4
Offical Silphium Abuser

I must confess that I am not in the mood for winter this year. It's the first time in nearly thirty years in the Ohio Valley that I've thought seriously about moving back to Florida.
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
I must confess that I am not in the mood for winter this year. It's the first time in nearly thirty years in the Ohio Valley that I've thought seriously about moving back to Florida.
The older I get the less I enjoy winter...however, a few years ago when we bought the house, I didn't mind it nearly as much as I had...I didn't even mind shoveling the snow our of our driveway. The winters that have followed have not found me in quite the same mood, but I still appreciate the season more than I have in years...it is still not a favorite--maybe if it were SHORTER. Well, so far, this year, it does seem shorter. Except for an early snow storm in October, we've had nothing until the past couple of days--and only a little more than a dusting. Here's hoping it will be a more pleasant--and sunnier winter that goes quickly into spring!

Sorry you are having a tough one. Did you grow up in Florida? I enjoyed visiting, but can't imagine living there!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
Offical Silphium Abuser

Dap, I lived in Florida between the ages of eight and twenty-six, including several years on a barrier island. I left because of crowds, crime, traffic, and the overuse of water resources (and because I had fallen in love with small-town Ohio and wanted an adventure).
Old 01-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #7

Thanks, for sharing, Rebek.

Well, if you lived there during your formative years, I'm sure there is a draw to go back. Living on a barrier island does make it sound a bit better to me! I grew up with the seasonal changes and local flora and fauna, so I can't imagine living where I'd be living without the familiar.

At least you fell in love with smalltown Ohio--then again, you are living in West Virginia...hopefully you are in love with that area too.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
Offical Silphium Abuser

Our current house is twelve miles from the town I originally fell in love with--there's not much difference except a shorter commute to work.

BTW, Florida has seasons: winter is when the azaleas and poinsettias (the ones out in the yard) bloom.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
Our current house is twelve miles from the town I originally fell in love with--there's not much difference except a shorter commute to work.

BTW, Florida has seasons: winter is when the azaleas and poinsettias (the ones out in the yard) bloom.

Oh, good...glad you are living where you love--and closer to work.

Smile...interesting seasons...and I've heard about pointsettias growing in the yards! I'll stick with what I'm used to though--even the snow...could we just get winter down to two weeks?
Old 01-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

We seem to be skipping winter this year in NC. With only a few days exceptions, our temps have been in the 50s and 60s. It was 66 yesterday, in January! Very different from last year, when it had snowed five times already ahd we had weeks in the 30s.

Sourwood is beautiful in the spring. I don't know how far north that goes.

Poinsettas did okay outside in California, too. I planted a few that I got for Christmas and they did well for years until we had a particularly cold winter and they up and died. We mostly had cool and wet, and hot and dry there - two seasons, not four. I enjoy my four seasons here, but wouldn't want to live much farther north than this.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
native, spring, trees, whiteflowering