Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Woodies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #21
Official Plant Nerd

linrose>>> I dunno how close this nursery is to you but.... I toured it and these folk are good to their word and they've got nice plants, Shooting Star Nursery, Kentucky - Ethics and Native Plants. I REALLY think you'll like this place. I looked through their site for you and didn't spot the straight species Physocarpus you want but... I know they grow it for sure so it's got to be there.... somewhere. Looks like they just finished up with some sort of a sale so if you don't see it listed.... maybe give em a call and ask? I know some nurseries won't advertise plants they've only got a few left of and maybe they sold out on their ninebark this year? Here's the sale flyer, CRE Loaded 6 Aquatics - Shooting Star Nursery, LLC.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #22
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I've been wanting to visit them too, they are just outside of Lexington, about 2 1/2 hours from us. My daughter is a freshman at UK so the next time I visit her I can make a side trip!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:35 PM   #23
Official Plant Nerd

If you come back penniless from visiting your daughter.... don't blame me.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #24
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Let's just say if paying for college doesn't break me, buying plants will!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #25
Heron

watering can Senna Hebecarpa or the hybrid Senna Marilandica

It's already been suggested by Eqil but I wanted to add that Senna has nice leaves and yellow flowers. It may not transplant well if the taproot is broken so it might be better to start from seed. The seed needs to be cold stratified like milkweed. It does like moist areas but shows it's dry by drooping if the tap-root can't pump up enough water. My reading also says Senna doesn't produce nectar but attracts pollinators by pollen. It will only reach 6 feet. The yellow flowers in turn produce a soybean like pod that when ripe may explode like snapdragon pods. They also propagate by root rhizomes and are host to Clouded Sulphers. Eating the seeds will act like a laxative in herbivores but may be eaten by larger birds, The pods are an inch or 2 long.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bushes, clethra alnifolia, dry soil, edge, fothergilla major, gavel, hedge, hydrangea quercifolia, ideas, ilex verticillata, kalmias, sassafras albidum, shrub, shrubs, suggestions, viburnum, woodland