Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Woodies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #11
Heron

Short of buying one of Reames books or going to one of his classes , if one picks through the reading there is some pretty good hints/suggestions as to how to go about this . Just do not expect to get any product in less than 3 to 5 years for even a small project .

Did you catch where they grew a boat frame ?

That ladder one was one of the early ones done back in the 50's or 60's . I see where a great many pics are used at the many sites repeatedly . :eek:

It would be fun to do , here I think that I would try mesquite , I am in ARIDZONA remember .
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

I saw a boat frame in North Carolina. I wasn't impressed. They also had a huge whale sticking out of a tree. It looked beached.

We can do this. There's no rush. I'll go with Ash. What do we want to try? A stool? That one site had photo by photo instructions. We'd have to buy a few large planters. Those are cheap enough.

Go find my wind turbine project thread I started for you as a joke. I think I'd rather try an arbosculpture myself. Seems easier.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #13
Too Wild To Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
It doesn't strike me as being artistic.

Equil, Equil, Equil! As a professional artist, Iím just going to give you a pat on the back and say itís futile to go thinking that your definition of art will be recognized by everyone. Also, who cares if a thing is art or not? The word "art" should be thrown away.

And tree torture? Really? ROFL! Every tree growing wild on a mountain top or windy beach is twisted and pruned by the elements, so why can't a gardener have some fun shaping trees, too?
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #14
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoloniferous View Post

Equil, Equil, Equil! As a professional artist, I’m just going to give you a pat on the back and say it’s futile to go thinking that your definition of art will be recognized by everyone. Also, who cares if a thing is art or not? The word "art" should be thrown away.

And tree torture? Really? ROFL! Every tree growing wild on a mountain top or windy beach is twisted and pruned by the elements, so why can't a gardener have some fun shaping trees, too?
There is a nursery here not too far from me , on my first visit there I noticed that there were a great many trees in 24" boxes that they had there . Through lack of ( to my delight ) attention , many had grown at cockeyed angles , some as much as 45 degrees angles out of thier boxes . I could see where these "problem " trees were causing problems in the nursery because they were prone to falling over , knocking over all the perfect straight ones . I saved a bit of money and did a return visit . I then made sure to find and talked to the owner of the nursery who was incredulous that I was expressing an interest in a small quanity of these "tortured" trees . He took me on a tour of the nursery picking out ones that he was willing to severly discount just to be rid of them . I was getting 24" box trees for $50.00 ! Mind that retail on that size is normally $150.00+ . I got some dozen trees this way and loved these more than the perfectly manicured ones that are the typical fare available .

I will try to get a pic of some of them , some truly have that "wind sculpted" look .
Old 02-10-2009, 11:29 PM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

"Equil, Equil, Equil! As a professional artist, Iím just going to give you a pat on the back and say itís futile to go thinking that your definition of art will be recognized by everyone." Stolono, Stolono, Stolono! As a professional tree lover, I''m giving you a pat on the hand patting my back. It's futile for you artsy types to go thinking bicycles stuck sideways in trees is recognizable as anything but bad art. Somebody fast go save those trees from pleachers (is that a word?)

I don't mind the wind sculpted look. Show us your goods lonediver.

Back to our scheduled programming of tree torture... are you in with us to torture a few trees Stolono? Come on be a sport. Let's all try a stool. Lonediver has that link that gives a blow by blow of how to make a stool. Surely you've got some undesirable tree seedlings popping up somewhere you could torture.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #16
Too Wild To Garden

*sigh* Have I mentioned that Iíve developed an allergic reaction over debates on what constitutes art? ďItís art!Ē ďItís not art!Ē ďItís art, but itís bad art!Ē ďItís not art, but itís technically very well done!Ē Shoot me now! I spent too long hanging around art students at conceptart.org.

Quote:
Back to our scheduled programming of tree torture... are you in with us to torture a few trees Stolono? Come on be a sport. Let's all try a stool.

Oooh. . . Iím still a noob gardener, so I donít know how much I am willing to risk killing what I plant! Iím also on a tight budget. But I did take a look at our witchhazels, and they have enough straight, whippy suckers that I just might try to use those like willow branches for some sort of (very small) construction. If I kill them, at least they were free, and I may be doing the parent plant some good by giving it a haircut.

Iím thinking Iíll use them to make a little dome structure. It will likely be too small for even a child to climb into, but might be fun for pushing toy trucks in and out of. Iíve been totally obsessing over this new garden, by the way. I want to start building it noooooooow!

If I had enough witchhazel wands, I would try using them to plant living cages around other plants that I want to protect from nibbling deer while they get established. But there arenít all that many, so Iíll have to use some other method of deterring them. I could get junk CDs from work, and hang up strings of them. . . oh, the ugly!

Sheesh, there are still a ton of links in this thread that I havenít explored yet. Lonediver, you out-linked me! You get to wear the link crown this week. I bow before your linkiness!
Attached Thumbnails
Arborsculpture-witchhazel_shoots_small.jpg  
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:31 PM   #17
Official Plant Nerd

"Oooh. . . I’m still a noob gardener, so I don’t know how much I am willing to risk killing what I plant!" That's why you want to use a seedling that pops up of an undesirable. I've got my eye on a few Siberian Elm seedlings. You have to have something undesirable blowing in.

Come on now, you haven't lived until you've killed a few plants. Find the link to how the stools are made.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can not see anything beautiful about a bicycle sticking half way out of a tree
Old 02-14-2009, 05:59 AM   #18
Heron

OK ladies , if you have quit your squabling over what constitutes art allow me to suggest what I consider to be the simplest project that I have seen in the web pages I linked to .

Now people travel with me to the land of down under and go visit ;

http://www.pooktre.com/

are you there at the home page yet ? scroll down the page to where those two bars are . Now on the top(first) of the two bars there is a selection of choices(buttons) to push . Click on the words "Whats Happening " . Once there , you will see some text and a picture of a young woman "Becky " by name . Note what she is wearing around her neck . That is an arborsculpture necklace .

Now if you read the text acompanying that picture the gist of the article is of projects that can be possibly be finished in less than a year . That necklace and a hand mirror that they speak of are the simplest projects that I have spotted in all the reading that I have done at all the links that I have thus far come across . The necklace as described has a pretty pricey gem placed within it but one need not let one who chose to aspire to somewhat copy that design deter them . Most anything could be placed there , a piece of colored glass , plastic or maybe something like a cameo . One would be limited by ones imagination .

Now speaking from a craft point of view to create something like that out of a single piece of wood which is what they have done is still quite something of an accomplishment . From what I can see it would require minimal tooling . Whatever one chose as the focal point centerpiece is "grown" into it . In another sense it is a frame which the wood is grown around . So it has become part of the tooling to make the piece what it is .

The bottom part below whatever is inset is where the original trunk of this tree . Grown , shaped into a two branch multi trunk , once large enough whatever is chosen to be the inset piece , be it jewel , cameo whatever is pressed into the fork dividing the two branches . Any sapling of this size is still quite pliable . Now the only somewhat hard of this project starts . A clamp of some kind will be necessary so as to bring those two branches back together so as to enclose whatever is chosen as ones inset piece . It would be necessary for what is used as a clamp to be somewhat broad . Too narrow and it would cut the wood , project bites the dust . It would not be necessary to perform this clamping in one swell swoop , it would likely be preferable to do it over at least a few days possibly a week oor two allowing the wood to stretch so the clamping would be done incrementally .

On a different web page it is described that one scores/scalps the bark getting down into the cambium layers . This would/is done so that in a trees effort to heal itself and the bark grows back , if one has two pieces of like wood side by side against one another it will result in a grafting of sorts . The two branches will become one fused at that juncture . Resulting in the inset piece forever more being "locked" grown into the wood of the branches as the branches are allowed to continue to grow increasing thier girth , the inset pieces edges will continue to be surrounded ever deeper into the wood .

Now second step . Thinking aloud here off the top of my head , I would guess that something the size of about a 5 pound coffee can or its equivlent would come close to the size of a human neck . After the grafting has been done to the lower inset piece , the upper tails of the whips/sapling would be wrapped around said can . At a little bit of a diagonal I would think necessary So that when finished the inset piece would lay correctly on a persons chest . This angle still remains to be determined and would also be subject a bit to ones body shape but there has to be a more or less correct angle to determine bend desired .

The only thingings left remaining is the "harvesting " , I am going to guess that this is best done when the tree has entered a dormant state . Late fall or winter . Then allow the piece to finish drying still tied to the form . Not seeing a pic from the back , I would further guess that the "finished " necklace is cut on the back with a gap of an inch or two . The wood would be spread like a clamshell very gently so as to be placed around a persons neck . Me being a dumb male knowing little to nothing about jewelry , I am sure there is better terminolgy , perhaps a reader could enlighten me as tto what words would correctly describe this but I believe you get the gist of what I have described .

Now in the text of the link I referenced above , They talk of a hand mirror , process necessary would be similar create one of those but obviously dimensions are a bit altered because one would be using a mirror as a inset rather than a jewel or whatever .

Refering back to the text , it is claimed there that this is possible within a growing season , variables would be growth rate of tree selected .

Any comments , criticisms, questions of above ?

Whos up for trying it ?

Speak up now , I do not do this to listen to myself speak , I already mutter to myself .
Old 02-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

"On a different web page it is described that one scores/scalps the bark getting down into the cambium layers . This would/is done so that in a trees effort to heal itself and the bark grows back , if one has two pieces of like wood side by side against one another it will result in a grafting of sorts . The two branches will become one fused at that juncture . Resulting in the inset piece forever more being "locked" grown into the wood of the branches as the branches are allowed to continue to grow increasing thier girth , the inset pieces edges will continue to be surrounded ever deeper into the wood ." This looks about right.

"The only thingings left remaining is the "harvesting " , I am going to guess that this is best done when the tree has entered a dormant state ." I'm thinking this would be best when it is in active growth but we could try it both ways.

I'll try two of the same necklace. I wonder where we could find some pendants that were affordable. That semi-precious jewel in that necklace doesn't interest me. Pretty but too much money.

What seedlings to use? Cherry? Whatever is available since this is a trial?
Old 02-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #20
Heron

Quote:
"On a different web page it is described that one scores/scalps the bark getting down into the cambium layers . This would/is done so that in a trees effort to heal itself and the bark grows back , if one has two pieces of like wood side by side against one another it will result in a grafting of sorts . The two branches will become one fused at that juncture . Resulting in the inset piece forever more being "locked" grown into the wood of the branches as the branches are allowed to continue to grow increasing thier girth , the inset pieces edges will continue to be surrounded ever deeper into the wood ." This looks about right.

"The only thingings left remaining is the "harvesting " , I am going to guess that this is best done when the tree has entered a dormant state ." I'm thinking this would be best when it is in active growth but we could try it both ways.

I'll try two of the same necklace. I wonder where we could find some pendants that were affordable. That semi-precious jewel in that necklace doesn't interest me. Pretty but too much money.

What seedlings to use? Cherry? Whatever is available since this is a trial?
Since the bark is to be peeled off I think a thinner barked tree would be best . Cherry in your case would/should be good . A thicker barked tree such as pines, junipers and the like would probably result in the inset piece becoming dislodged . Ironwood here could be a good choice for me .

When one goes to clamp the two branches together I had an idea as to how to go about this . Now if a person goes to a good hardware store . Find/locate a "wire rope thimble " 2 of these will be needed ;

http://www.usrigging.com/thimbles.html

In thier normal usage , these are used to form an eye when one is making a loop on the end of wire rope/cable .

Now if you look at the pic of one in the link above you will see where these things are concaved forming a cradle to seat the cable into .

What occurs to me is that if two of these are used putting one on the outside of the two branches to be drawn together this will cradle the branches as well , like it does cable .

Then a common pair of vice grip pliers can be adjusted clamping those around the outside of the thimbles . Vice grips are adjustable with a simple thumb screw . So now a vice has been created that has a cradle limiting damage to the exterior of the branches as they are drawn around the inset piece . Selection of an apropriate size being the key factor . The vice now has no sharp edges being pushed into the wood from the outside .

Do you follow ?

Tags
arborsculpture