Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Woodies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

I wouldn't be surprised if your three-year-old Aronia seedling blooms this year - some of mine are (and they might even be two years old... I can't remember.) How big are they?

The cars are covered with pollen today, I think it's the white pine. Oaks are flowering now too.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp thing View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if your three-year-old Aronia seedling blooms this year - some of mine are (and they might even be two years old... I can't remember.) How big are they?

The cars are covered with pollen today, I think it's the white pine. Oaks are flowering now too.

Great to hear--it was a surprise for me to see what looks like flower buds. I checked again today and do think I'm right. I'd say they are around 2 ft or so.

Overnight the temps are supposed to drop to the high 20s. Last year, after my oak had leafed out we got a frost or freeze, and I was shocked to see that most of the new growth was hit. Up until then, I'd always assumed the natives didn't succumb to the frosts. I'm hoping that my serviceberry, spicebush, and now Aronia are not damaged by the freeze.

At least the oak hasn't leafed out yet. I do realize they are late to leaf out and it was a late freeze last year.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #13
WG Guardian Spirit

Redbuds here are done on the south slope but still in full bloom on the north. Dogwood in full bloom on the south, starting on the north.

And we have rhododendron in the woods! And I'm so very good at plant ID (hah!) that they had to have buds before I knew it. Not sure which type yet -- waiting until the leaves take shape.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #14
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyC View Post
Redbuds here are done on the south slope but still in full bloom on the north. Dogwood in full bloom on the south, starting on the north.

And we have rhododendron in the woods! And I'm so very good at plant ID (hah!) that they had to have buds before I knew it. Not sure which type yet -- waiting until the leaves take shape.
Jenny,

Cool! Great that the northern side will prolong the blooms for you.

My dogwoods are just starting to open, but the bracts have not begun to elongate yet. I'm assuming a week or so will show them in their glory. My serviceberry are about to burst open, and hope they will be a great display.

Thanks for sharing.

David
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acer rubrum, aronia, aronia arbutifolia, aspen, bayberry, beginning, chokeberry, dirca, dirca palustris, dogwoods, flower, leatherwood, oak, oak tree, palustris, redbuds, redmaple, rhododendron, salix, serviceberry, shrubs, spring, spring blooms, trees, woodies