Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Woodies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
Salamander

Default Easy way to dig holes for trees/shrubs?

I had planned to plant a lot of trees and shrubs both this Spring and this Autumn, but the recent snowstorms here--and the shoveling I've had to to as a result--have reminded me of my least favorite part.

Anyone have any quick-easy-and-relatively-painless ways to dig good-sized holes for trees and large shrubs?

Are there any machines that I could rent for a day or two to dig all the holes?

I've actually been wondering if I could get my husband to rent a stump-grinder and start some holes for me that way--I'm that desperate to avoid digging/shoveling right now!
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
The Bug Whisperer

If you are procuring your trees/shrubs from a local nursery, you might check to see if they have any machine (such as a Bobcat skidsteer) equipped with a tree spade. These can make 'instant holes' up to 4 feet in diameter. See http://cdn-0.psndealer.com/e2/dealer...pade%20001.jpg for an image.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Heron

Dynamite solves such problems as digging a big hole very well . You dig a small hole such as with a post hole digger , insert the charge with wires , move well back . Yell very loudly "FIRE IN THE HOLE" , cover your ears as you ignite, ducking as you do . Be prepared for dirt to rain down . Somewhat exhilarating .

* could be possible that some local ordinances might restrict such , party poopers .
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
WG Writer

I prefer hand digging holes and for me a hand post hole digger does a good job.

If you got a macho fella around there who likes to make a lot of noise he might like to use one of these:

video.

There is also a mechanical two-man post holer that we have used to take core samples. I think they come in 8 in and 12 in diameters.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonediver View Post
Dynamite solves such problems as digging a big hole very well . You dig a small hole such as with a post hole digger , insert the charge with wires , move well back . Yell very loudly "FIRE IN THE HOLE" , cover your ears as you ignite, ducking as you do . Be prepared for dirt to rain down . Somewhat exhilarating .

* could be possible that some local ordinances might restrict such , party poopers .
I thought about suggesting that myself - this technique also sometimes is known as 'instant cave' or 'rock solvent'...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
Fox

High-school kids are desperate for cash. Do you know any?
Bulucanagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #7
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
I thought about suggesting that myself - this technique also sometimes is known as 'instant cave' or 'rock solvent'...
A guy after my own heart . "Rock solvent" not heard that one . I like it !
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:47 AM   #8
Salamander

I've found that using a local variety "Beer Lure" will attract enough neighbors and friends that people end up fighting over shovels.

I've wondered if there is way to make a drinking game that results in a dug hole?

Take Care!

Quietman
Old 02-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #9
Heron

A drinking game that involves shovels, that could be dangerous!
A BBQ Lure would do to attract teenagers. Really an male.

Let your husband stand out in the yard with shovel, you BBQ.

Chivalry is dead. I can stand out in the yard and dig a hole. The neighbors all just watch, then take pictures with their cell phones when I leave. Its like I'm on National Geographics.
Witness the rare Hoosier Housewife in here attempts to improve her territory. Wait she's leaving. Lets investigate the earth works. Click click

Do they send the picture to their friends? "This is our neighbors hole."?
Old 02-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #10
Salamander

Hmmn. . . My 8-year-old would just love to help 'dynamite' (can I use it as a verb?) holes, and so might my 44-year old!

I'm going to keep looking for something. We do have a little tractor with 3-point-hitch so a post-hole attachment is a possibility if I can't find something else.

I wonder if a local landscaping company would just come out and dig the holes for me if I don't want any other services/products--I guess I can call around and ask! (I like to get my trees from a native plant nursery about an hour away.)

We had another 10 inches and I had to re-dig the path for the dog to reach his 'spot' but I have enough firewood on the porch for a couple of days, so maybe some of the snow will melt before we need to get back to the woodpile again!

Found this item for planting trees, but I'm not sure I understand how the 'digging' part works. . .

Tree Toad® Tree Transplanters
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air spade, air-spade, dig, dig holes, digging, easy, holes, holes for shrubs, holes for trees, planting, planting shrubs, shrubs, tips for digging holes, trees, trees or shrubs