Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Woodies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #41
Heron

Hey I have a friend who is Homeland security and she's no weenie.

She's had extensive military training and makes navy seals look like a wimps.

Teresa I think you've lost control of this post, LOL
Old 02-14-2010, 09:57 PM   #42
WG Facilitator

Hey, Teresa. When you finish wading through all of the helpful hole-digging tips and gadgets. . . . did you find anything here that will help you in your shrub-planting dillema?
Old 02-14-2010, 11:25 PM   #43
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkweed View Post

Teresa I think you've lost control of this post,
Yeah where did Teresa go I think that it hit her that she

had entered a lunatic asylum ! Com'on back and join in the fun , we did

not mean toyou off . It does help to be a little crazy here .
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:48 AM   #44
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
DRŪ Power Equipment - Landscape Rake

I just got this 36" landscape rake from DR Power (I have their DR Trimmer). I thought Id use it to help level out my driveway when I get it rebuilt.

Another tool I really like is an old house building rafter bit I found in the attic when I moved here. The owner said everything in the attic was put there before she moved in in 1936. The house was built in 1900 so the bit is pretty old. Its about 5 ft long and it fits in a brace so you can 'drill' long skinny holes with it. I used it to run pipe under a walkway.

Those old tools are sometimes hard to beat . You seem to like good tools hazlenut . You probably would have had a ball touring what used to be my barn/carriage/wheel wright shop , you too Pahinh Winh. Lets see what I can find on the internet that comes close to some of the toys that I used to have .

The old wood planes were always fascinating , one of my favorites was the compass/circular/bailey plane ;

a plane with a flexible face that can plane concave or convex surfaces

Meeker's patented-antiques.com antique compass planes

I had many similar on this page , just look at those prices

http://www.fine-tools.com/ediv.htm

I lost a good bit of my shop in a fire , makes me sick to think about it .

I had a line shaft system that could power most of the shop . Large flywheels , wide flat belts, goveners all a flyin' . One motor could power the whole shop .

lineshaft

Industrial Antiquity - Line Shaft Pulleys and Belting

Google Image Result for http://www.oldengine.org/members/levans/mwfm01.jpg

I only had something like a 5 or 8 hp Fairbanks morse engine

Wheelwrights tools

Wheelwright Tools

Pine Creek Industries - Buggy Tools

Well it's time for me to turn in , we'll talk more tools another time .
Old 02-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #45
WG Writer

Biigblueyes: You really can't dig a lot of holes unless you also have a good attitude -- I mean it does take a little grunting and screaming etc. Its not like going to the office --- after all!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #46
Heron

Quote:
Biigblueyes: You really can't dig a lot of holes unless you also have a good attitude -- I mean it does take a little grunting and screaming etc. Its not like going to the office --- after all!
Sumpin' you said above hazlenut keyed me into a new idear of how to solve Teresa's dilema as to how to get her holes dug easier !

Lets call this the Golfer solution !

Now I've worked around many a golf course in my time , a place I believe that you would be advised to stay away from Hazlenut as I understand that you have an aversion to a lot of .

Well another pastime that these fellers are given to is the creation of sumpin' that is called divots ;

Divots - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Divot - Definition of the Golf Term Divot

Now I propose that Teresa advertise a golf tournament .

And she can collect fees for entry!

This is a win-win !

She'll get many a- holes dug around her property and they will PAY her for a-doin' it !

Sunto , gi-me a high five my man fer cumin' up with this brillant solution !
Old 02-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #47
WG Writer

Lonediver: Excellent suggestion. I developed an aversion to a lot of swearing from the 20 years or so I spent as a field archeologist. Often I was the only female there, and the guys did not modify their language one whit because of my presence. Part of archeological training is: (1) learning how to spit tobacco (and not hit your shoe) and (2) every other word starts with f---.

Now mind you these guys were perfectly articulate back in the classroom, but hand them a shovel and this is what happens!
Old 02-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #48
Heron

Quote:
Lonediver: Excellent suggestion. I developed an aversion to a lot of swearing from the 20 years or so I spent as a field archeologist. Often I was the only female there, and the guys did not modify their language one whit because of my presence.
I thought that part of the womens rights movement was equal rights , to be one with the boys ?

Quote:
Part of archeological training is: (1) learning how to spit tobacco (and not hit your shoe)!
I take it that you learned how to have a good chaw of terbacky ?

Quote:
and (2) every other word starts with f---.

Now mind you these guys were perfectly articulate back in the classroom, but hand them a shovel and this is what happens!

How do you find the Golfer solution .

Divots Cartoons

Old 02-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #49
WG Writer

Yep. A chaw of terbacky is essential to working outside in Alabama in August where it is normally 104 F each afternoon.

I never did learn to preface every other word with F---. Eventually there were more women in archeology. Some did try to emulate male leadership style. I don't think any of them were successful. As for me I think a teacher should teach by example not by swearing and yelling and creating a macho authority mystic pseudo marines. As for me I grab a shovel and show the newbie how to cut a profile.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #50
Heron

Quote:
Yep. A chaw of terbacky is essential to working outside in Alabama in August where it is normally 104 F each afternoon.

I never did learn to preface every other word with F---. Eventually there were more women in archeology. Some did try to emulate male leadership style. I don't think any of them were successful. As for me I think a teacher should teach by example not by swearing and yelling and creating a macho authority mystic pseudo marines. As for me I grab a shovel and show the newbie how to cut a profile.
You think that 104 F is hot ?

I hereby invite you to come out and visit me in August !

I believe that leadership has changed overtime at least a little . But some old habits die hard .

Tags
air spade, air-spade, dig, dig holes, digging, easy, holes, holes for shrubs, holes for trees, planting, planting shrubs, shrubs, tips for digging holes, trees, trees or shrubs