Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Woodies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #61
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I like the Virginia creeper vine very much but I wouldn't add it where you couldn't control it some.
It would probably take over the area if left unchecked.
I'm not thinking of Virginia creeper in that area--but, the birds did plant it near a telephone pole, which it has begun to climb. I'm fine with that...I think.

I am happy with Virginia creeper growing on the outskirts of our property.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:45 AM   #62
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post

I have seen the beetles defoliate some tiny seedling viburnums that I had. Good to know it should be easy to see where they laid their eggs.

Seems to me, what I have (what I *think* is V. prunifolium) hasn't shown signs of the beetles, so that is promising. Same goes for my maple leaf viburnum. Good to know that I could, hopefully, head them off at the pass if I can remove any eggs before they hatch.
Here's a site that shows how to identify the viburnum leaf beetle (vlb) and when to prune, etc.
Viburnum Leaf Beetle (VLB), Cornell University
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:52 AM   #63
Offical Silphium Abuser

Coming late to this conversation, but I just looked up shale barrens (not that you want your entire front to look like that ecosystem). Here is what the Maryland DNR says about woodies:
"The most commonly found trees include scrubby forms of chestnut oak, Virginia pine, eastern redcedar and pignut hickory. Other typical trees include white ash, oaks (post, black and red), pines (table-mountain and white), and shagbark hickory. The few shrub species include shadbush, black huckleberry, deerberry and bear oak."

So amelanchier seems to be the tree that goes with everything. I do, however, love the tree-form viburnums, and they do tend to stay short. Our town recommends blackhaw as a species for planting under power lines.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:28 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Here's a site that shows how to identify the viburnum leaf beetle (vlb) and when to prune, etc.
Viburnum Leaf Beetle (VLB), Cornell University
Thank you, Martha.

I will check it out.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 04-06-2017, 03:32 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
Coming late to this conversation, but I just looked up shale barrens (not that you want your entire front to look like that ecosystem). Here is what the Maryland DNR says about woodies:
"The most commonly found trees include scrubby forms of chestnut oak, Virginia pine, eastern redcedar and pignut hickory. Other typical trees include white ash, oaks (post, black and red), pines (table-mountain and white), and shagbark hickory. The few shrub species include shadbush, black huckleberry, deerberry and bear oak."

So amelanchier seems to be the tree that goes with everything. I do, however, love the tree-form viburnums, and they do tend to stay short. Our town recommends blackhaw as a species for planting under power lines.
I am a procrastinator...and it is still going to be a while before I make it to a nursery. Not too late at all.

Yup, Amelanchier does seem to go with everything!

I love the idea of bear or scrub oak and some of the others listed.

I am leaning towards the viburnum...great to hear about powerline-compatibility.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:16 AM   #66
Offical Silphium Abuser

One nice thing about the viburnum is that, like amelanchier, it looks good in all seasons: flowers, attractive fruit, good fall color, pleasing shape.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:43 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
One nice thing about the viburnum is that, like amelanchier, it looks good in all seasons: flowers, attractive fruit, good fall color, pleasing shape.
Good to know. It definitely fits the bill.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:03 PM   #68
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Found a site to look into. It's supposedly all NATIVES! Choose a state,,,,http://www.wildflower.org/collections/ Then tweak the search for trees, shrubs, florals, wet, dry, whatever your lil heart desires and it even includes photos!

This is what it pulled in for Pennsylvania shrubs. Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center - The University of Texas at Austin

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Found a site to look into. It's supposedly all NATIVES! Choose a state,,,,Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center - The University of Texas at Austin Then tweak the search for trees, shrubs, florals, wet, dry, whatever your lil heart desires and it even includes photos!

This is what it pulled in for Pennsylvania shrubs. Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center - The University of Texas at Austin
Many thanks, havalotta.

I just opened the collection for Chesapeake Watershed--43 pages on that alone! I've gotta get back outside and into the yard soon--but, hopefully this evening or one of these evenings I will explore more. Great find!

Tags
suggestions, wanted

« Wildlife Snags | - »