Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Woodies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2017, 01:21 PM   #61
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
I haven't been active on the list these last few years, either. I've popped in occasionally, but had nothing to contribute. My husband got sick and became disabled almost 7 years ago, and that has taken most of my time and energy, as well as delaying our plans for our own home and my wildlife garden. We'll finally be getting our home (and yard!!) in about 2 months, so I'm getting back to wildlife gardening. I'm finding it sad that the list isn't as active as I remember, but I can hardly complain.

For me, at least, gardening with natives isn't a temporary interest. It's been on hold these last difficult years, but as I anticipate planting my new yard, I'm finding myself again. I do hope the list becomes more active.
Leslie, all too often "life interferes". I am so sorry that you both have had to go through this. I am glad that your dream is no longer on hold--great news about having your own home and property on which to plant your dream!

I know, for me, we didn't get our first (and only) home until right before I turned 40. Planting what you like and enjoying the wildlife that it attracts is extremely fulfilling--I hope you it beats your wildest expectations.

As for WG becoming more active again, I think it already has--and, the more that people post, the more infectious participation seems to come.

I understand having nothing to contribute. I hope that changes now that your dream is ready to become a reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post

I'll be creating a journal of my work on my new little yard. Unfortunately they took down most of the trees, including two nice snags, to make room for the house and the septic system. Men with bulldozers. But it's going to grow again. It's going to be great.
Sorry about those losses, but, as you say, think will grow again...and you will aid in making certain it is native and beneficial.

As much as I agree that we need to plant trees, open spaces (filled with natives) are also seriously lacking...so, creating an area of early succession may bring more benefit than what was lost.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:29 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Last fall I painted a cluster of orange maple leaves hanging overhead in Acrylic... I toyed around with the watercolors for a while which I too am not very familiar...

Still, I prefer the acrylics as watercolor once applied is pretty much permanent, oils too slow in drying, blend together when touching colors not yet dry, can't place the next coat over a still wet base. Acrylic is more forgiving. It blends well when needed, dries quick for painting details on top and dries waterproof.
I am glad that you are pleased with the results. Perhaps you can post your work somewhere for us to see (if you so prefer).

Funny, I used to love oils because I could go back in and make changes--whereas the acrylic dried too quickly for me. Yes, I would need to wait for the oils to dry before painting anything over what I had done, but it was my preferred medium for a long time.

I think I would have similar reservations with watercolors. I like the idea of masking off areas as you describe. As I recall, one normally has to go from lights to darks--the opposite of what I tended to do with oils.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 03-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
How exciting to have a new home. Look forward to hearing how your landscaping progresses
Same here.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:47 PM   #64
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I am glad that you are pleased with the results. Perhaps you can post your work somewhere for us to see.
I will retake the sampling of the tiny watercolor where I tried out the masking fluid to show you the different results I had along with a shot of the maple leaves next time I go to camp. I'll post them in a more appropriate thread.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I will retake the sampling of the tiny watercolor where I tried out the masking fluid to show you the different results I had along with a shot of the maple leaves next time I go to camp. I'll post them in a more appropriate thread.
Great. Thanks.

Tags
snags, wildlife