Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Woodies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2017, 05:50 PM   #41
Fox

I've got a few shots of wildlife on a snag out in our backyard. The Anhinga was in a snag on the reservoir behind our house. The snag out back sees many visitors. Osprey use it for a eating table as do the eagles on occasion. At night owls like to sit atop the snag and hoot. We've even seen wood ducks way up in the snag. The eagles stop in several times a week and view their domain from the tree and numerous songbirds and squirrels climb around on it almost every day. I love our snag and will be oh so sad the day that it falls. Storms have already ravaged the tree. The limb the Ibis and Great Blue was on is long gone but luckily life still abounds on our backyard snag.
Attached Thumbnails
Wildlife Snags-img_2563-edit-2.jpg   Wildlife Snags-img_7933-edit-2.jpg   Wildlife Snags-img_7969-edit.jpg   Wildlife Snags-img_0863.jpg   Wildlife Snags-_mg_2206.jpg  

MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:33 PM   #42
Hippie Gardener

Nice action shot of the woodpecker, MaggyNoLia! Looks like you snag has lots of traffic.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #43
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Excellent shots, one and all. I do especially like the flying woodchips in the woodpecker pic.

Thank you for sharing.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #44
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Yes, she really nailed it on that shot!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #45
Alternate POM Judge

Great photos. Proof of the value of snags for wildlife
Old 03-11-2017, 08:28 PM   #46

I always lived the snag thread...maybe this will revive it.

Snags: Nature's apartment complexes | Habitat Network
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 03-13-2017, 11:40 AM   #47
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

74 Snagadelicious pages full of the standing dead WG's Snag Appreciation Program (SAP) contest
No longer taking entries but a nice place for review! Hard to imagine it's already 8 years since!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:47 AM   #48
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
74 Snagadelicious pages full of the standing dead WG's Snag Appreciation Program (SAP) contest
No longer taking entries but a nice place for review! Hard to imagine it's already 8 years since!
That is a great thread, but where have all the contributors gone that were part of that conversation? So many names from the past that we no longer hear from. I know The Lorax is still watching and occasionally posting, but participation here has definitely waned. I know Fearless Weeder has passed on, but I hope all the others in that thread line are doing well and prospering...

Interests and demands upon our lives change our activities constantly, but it is a lesson in the sadness of nostalgia to read through the contributors of many of the older threads at this site and then realize that they are now names from the past, and seemingly permanently departed...

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Interests and demands upon our lives change our activities constantly, but it is a lesson in the sadness of nostalgia to read through the contributors of many of the older threads at this site and then realize that they are now names from the past, and seemingly permanently departed...
Very well stated.

I know my activities changed my participation--as well as the decline in active posters that kept the site more lively.

I have begun to bring back visiting this site into my regular routine. For a while, I was neglecting the desktop computer--and our shared T-shaped desk. Lately, I am here again sorting through photos, trying to post to my blog, and making sure I check in at Wildlife Gardeners.

Small changes...perhaps others that are lurking can try to do the same.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:41 AM   #50
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Very well stated.

I know my activities changed my participation--as well as the decline in active posters that kept the site more lively.

I have begun to bring back visiting this site into my regular routine. For a while, I was neglecting the desktop computer--and our shared T-shaped desk. Lately, I am here again sorting through photos, trying to post to my blog, and making sure I check in at Wildlife Gardeners.

Small changes...perhaps others that are lurking can try to do the same.
One nice happening of recent vintage was seeing Amelanchier return to the scene and resume posting. We need something to stimulate a renaissance here at WG!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snags, wildlife