Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Woodies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
Fox

Default A tree grows in Boston.

I did a small job in Boston the other day. It involved going into the back "yards" of those row houses that go for ridiculous amounts of money. In a back alley off of a small one-way street, I found this immense and beautiful Elm, reaching for the sky. For somebody who doesn't exactly feel at home in the big city, it was a comfort to have such a thing filling my sky.

So you can imagine my horror when the guy I was working with told me that the residents had wanted to cut it down! They were worried about it falling and damaging their buildings. Now, I'm no tree surgeon but to my untrained eye this tree looked incredibly healthy, especially considering what it has to work with. Supposedly they balked at the $10,000 price tag for removal. Idiots! What price a tree?

I just think about what that tree has seen. I have to think that it's at least 250 years old so it was around for the revolution...in Boston. Interesting and important things happened under and around this tree. Knowing this makes me happy and connects me to the past in a way that books and lectures don't.

I just hope that the price always stays just a few dollars more than they're willing to pay.

A tree grows in Boston.-0.jpgA tree grows in Boston.-1.jpgA tree grows in Boston.-2.jpgA tree grows in Boston.-3.jpgA tree grows in Boston.-4.jpg
Old 05-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
Fox

If the buildings are at risk, take down the buildings and make a mini-park!!!
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Fox

A lovely thought but this is some of the priciest real estate outside of NYC. They would never allow it to be "wasted" on a park. Although the Boston neighborhoods do seem to have their fair share of parks. Not what we would call woods, but wooded and sometimes watered lots of an acre or two. That's why I'm not really too concerned about this tree. There must be many residents who appreciate the tree and would raise hell if they were to try to remove it. There may even be a law against removing it. It's Boston, they're real good at making laws.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
Salamander

I think its sad that they want to cut down such a rare tree. I understand the veiw point of the neighbors however, it could cause lots of damage.
GonativeAlex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boston, cities, city trees, elm tree, grows, old trees, real estate, tree, trees