Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Wildlife Photo Tips (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-photo-tips/)
-   -   ~Wings in Action~ (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-photo-tips/846-wings-action.html)

Sage 02-09-2009 11:13 PM

~Wings in Action~

5 Attachment(s)
Catching birds in flight is exciting! Even if they are just using their wings for something other than flying it makes for more interesting shots than a perched bird.

I go on hawk-runs at this time of year, trying to catch Red-tailed Hawks in flight, because I already have a couple million of RTHs just perched. :rolleyes:

Since I'm in the passenger seat I can play with the camera while Roger is driving. He is also an excellent hawk-spotter.

Although it's usually fine to leave the camera settings on automatic, in order to catch birds in flight, it's important to get the fastest shutter speed possible.
Program mode>menu>
White balance: automatic or sunny or cloudy, etc.
ISO: automatic or depending on light choose setting of 100 or higher
Change mode to A-Aperature wide open (lowest setting)
Change mode to S-Shutter speed - use joystick to get fastest SS
I point the camera into whatever conditions I expect to shoot and lighting can change fast so adjustment may be necessary often.
I do not have a DSLR. You can use similar method with most Point and Shoot cameras.

1) Red-tailed Hawk spreading her wings after dining on a deer carcass in the winter
2) RTH in flight
3) Killdeer using "Broken-wing display" to distract possible danger (me) from nest
4) Seagull lifting off, wingtips still in water
5) Anhinga drying wings

Sage 02-09-2009 11:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
1) Canada Goose pretending to be a swan
2) Two seagull having a lively discussion
3) One seagull making a soft landing on the other
4) Not a good shot taken through the window but cute wing action
5) Young hawk ready for lift off

Dave Stiles 02-10-2009 12:35 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Osprey taking off
Bald eagle using wings as a radiator to gather heat at below zero
Juvenile Redtail hawk taking off

Equilibrium 02-10-2009 11:44 PM

We need some buttered popcorn to sit back and watch this battle of the wings. This is great.

Staff 02-10-2009 11:46 PM

And some Good n Plenty. I'll second the great photos.

Im4dabirds 02-11-2009 10:59 AM

Great shots! Someday I'll get good enough to do that! In the meantime I'm really enjoying your work, both of you!

joepyeweed 02-11-2009 04:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Oh no! Is this a throw down!

I've already posted some of my favorite pics of birds in flight.

I posted my favorite osprey shot in last months photo contest...
I think I already posted the red tail taking off from a post, somewhere here also...

I have a few more that are postable...

biigblueyes 02-11-2009 06:01 PM

Very nice!

Sage 02-11-2009 08:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1336 1) Blue Macaws I think, at Bird Kingdom, Niagara Falls

Attachment 1337 2) Canada Goose

Attachment 1338 3) Red-tail flying away from the tree

Prairie Gal 02-12-2009 01:44 AM

You have shamed me, Sage. I turned up my nose at my old Powershot s2, and have been trying to learn my Canon Rebel xti that I got for Christmas. I even used up the budget and bought a 250mm telephoto lens, as well...and yet, so far, my shots are lousy. I did better with the PS2, in fact!

I must say, in my defense, that every day I've gone out has been cloudy or overcast, and I just could not get enough light for a super-fast shutter speed. Years ago I knew how to use a (regular) slr camera (a Minolta) but I'm getting old and have forgotten all the "tricks."

I hope I can eventually deserve this nice gift, instead of just feel disgusted each time I load the photos onto my computer.