Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month > Wildlife Photo Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #81
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Oh! This thread got revived! Yea! Here are some shots of our Peregrine falcons at Central Terminal!

~Wings in Action~-p1230125.jpg

~Wings in Action~-p1220465.jpg

~Wings in Action~-p1220765.jpg

~Wings in Action~-p1290779.jpg
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #82
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Oh! This thread got revived! Yea! Here are some shots of our Peregrine falcons at Central Terminal!
Looking good, Sage...as always.

I've lost track of the other thread, did the young 'uns fledge already?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #83
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
That's just the kind of shot I'd like to get birding bunch! Can you enlarge it to get even better detail?
On my camera the 8x setting takes high resolution pictures, so they are quite a bit larger. I just shrink them for web use.

Ooo, nice Peregrines. We saw one waay off in the distance in April out in the country, so really didn't enjoy its beauty.
Attached Thumbnails
~Wings in Action~-scaredme8.jpg   ~Wings in Action~-busy2.jpg  
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #84
Salamander

Oh dear. I had a scripts issue, and thought I lost the photos, so didn't mention them...

The first photo was one of our baby Barn Swallows practicing its wings. I was using the 8x setting at the time and the little guy scared me to death as I thought he was going to fall over. Nope, he righted himself.

#2 was taken by a little one. I had never noticed the Oriole's beautiful pattern before this year. He seemed really agitated when another bird came to the feeder so would shake his wings to scare them off. It never worked, so to minimize his stress, we moved the oranges to a new spot and he was a happy Oriole.
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #85
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Love the Oriole and the Orange!

Yes, dap, the last of local Pefas fledged over the weekend, causing a lot of drama, or maybe I did that(!), a rescue, a lost fledge, watchers from near and far helping, some more recent fans and watchers really getting into it and now there's no turning back for them! I'll try to get the pefa thread updated!

Here's a pic of Gleig, Canadian hatched mama to our new fledges. I played with this one in Photoshop today. Trying to nail this process but it'll take a bit more practice!

~Wings in Action~-p1230966gleigoob.jpg

And I was so mesmerized by this sight, I wouldn't even lift the camera, but luckily, Roger got it! Mama Gleig shot like a bullet, horizontally, and nailed this beautiful white pigeon in the air, demolishing it! Wings in Action!!!

~Wings in Action~-241821_3395114161430_773958765_o.jpg
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #86

Nice photos, Birding Bunch...I especially like the oriole.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #87
Fox

Some of these you've seen before but...

~Wings in Action~-gull-vs-crows-09.jpg
A gull trying to get away from a couple of fish-snatchers

~Wings in Action~-vult-042a.jpg
A vulture maintains his balance

~Wings in Action~-hawk-vs-crows-04a.jpg
A hawk is harassed by some crows

~Wings in Action~-fancy.jpg
A flock takes flight
Old 07-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
[B]Some of these you've seen before but...
I'm not sure if I saw any of them before..great shots one and all!

The one of the gull had me thinking of the squawking "mine, mine, mine" in Finding Nemo.

They are all wonderful, but I really like the hawk and crows...great composition.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #89
Fox

Thanks, dap. The gull vs. crows was from a series that was one of the first things I posted here. You can see the whole thing, with my imagined dialog, here...
Gull vs. Crows - a set on Flickr

The hawk vs. crows is a crop from a much larger image, again from a series I took, one showing a direct hit by one of the crows. Here's the full-size image, available for download, if you'd like to try your own hand at cropping it...
All sizes | Hawk vs Crows | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #90

Maybe I did see them before...my memory is not what it could be. Anyway, well worth seeing again..they look fresh and new to me.

Tags
action, action shots, bird, birds, birds flying, bluebird, duck, fly, flying, flying birds, hummingbird, mallard, motion, osprey, photographs, photos, pictures, wings