Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month > Wildlife Photo Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 08:14 PM   #21
Fox

So I was sitting here posting earlier and happened to look out back and noticed an osprey in one of the trees. Here are some of the shots I took.
Attached Thumbnails
~Wings in Action~-img_5267.jpg   ~Wings in Action~-img_5269.jpg   ~Wings in Action~-img_5321.jpg   ~Wings in Action~-img_5322.jpg   ~Wings in Action~-img_5331.jpg  

MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #22
Fox

Now I didn't see what he had gone after when he took off, but I think the osprey bit off more than he could chew because he came booking back by me with this on his tail...
Attached Thumbnails
~Wings in Action~-img_5354.jpg   ~Wings in Action~-img_5371.jpg   ~Wings in Action~-img_5382.jpg   ~Wings in Action~-img_5389.jpg   ~Wings in Action~-img_5390.jpg  

Old 02-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #23
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Wow! Great sighting and captures! Did the osprey escape?
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #24
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Wow! Great sighting and captures! Did the osprey escape?
I hope so, but I don't know. I lost sight of them as they went around the treeline to my right.

I do know eagles will eat other birds....seagulls at least. Here's a shot I got a couple of months ago. At first I didn't know the eagle had something until I panned down with the camera a little. One of the shots I got that day is my avatar....it's just high enough that you don't see the seagull below.
Attached Thumbnails
~Wings in Action~-pict0272.jpg  
Old 02-21-2009, 09:03 PM   #25
Salamander

Those are some awesome shots there Maggy.
Im4dabirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:06 PM   #26
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im4dabirds View Post
Those are some awesome shots there Maggy.
Thank you. I'm tickled to death about the eagle/osprey shots. We regularly see the eagle and hawks going at it out here, but these were the best shots of an altercation I've caught so far.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:38 AM   #27
Unicellular Fungi

You should be tickled to death. I don't think I've ever seen photos like what you have. I did once see an Eagle steal a fish from an Osprey. Poor hungry Osprey. It was over powered.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #28
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
You should be tickled to death. I don't think I've ever seen photos like what you have. I did once see an Eagle steal a fish from an Osprey. Poor hungry Osprey. It was over powered.
Osprey are some of the best fisherman out there and eagles know this. Eagles are always on the lookout to see who they can steal from. Here it is not uncommon at all to see the eagle chasing an osprey or a hawk for an easy meal, although after you watch all the gyrating and chasing going on one would think it would be easier for the eagle to just catch the fish themselves.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #29
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggyNoLia View Post
Osprey are some of the best fisherman out there and eagles know this. Eagles are always on the lookout to see who they can steal from. Here it is not uncommon at all to see the eagle chasing an osprey or a hawk for an easy meal, although after you watch all the gyrating and chasing going on one would think it would be easier for the eagle to just catch the fish themselves.
Yeah, really!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #30
Unicellular Fungi

Yes MaggNoLia, they do use a lot of energy stealing meals. Neat point. I looked it up and there were some interesting comments about that.

Tags
action, action shots, bird, birds, birds flying, bluebird, duck, fly, flying, flying birds, hummingbird, mallard, motion, osprey, photographs, photos, pictures, wings