Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month > Wildlife Photo Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #11
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Gal View Post
You have shamed me, Sage. I turned up my nose at my old Powershot s2, and have been trying to learn my Canon Rebel xti that I got for Christmas. I even used up the budget and bought a 250mm telephoto lens, as well...and yet, so far, my shots are lousy. I did better with the PS2, in fact!

I must say, in my defense, that every day I've gone out has been cloudy or overcast, and I just could not get enough light for a super-fast shutter speed. Years ago I knew how to use a (regular) slr camera (a Minolta) but I'm getting old and have forgotten all the "tricks."

I hope I can eventually deserve this nice gift, instead of just feel disgusted each time I load the photos onto my computer.
I'd love to have your camera! :eek: You'll get it - just have to keep using it.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:16 AM   #12
Fox

The first shot is a hawk. Picture two is a great egret. Picture three is an eastern bluebird. Picture four is another great egret.
Attached Thumbnails
~Wings in Action~-img_4325_edited.jpg   ~Wings in Action~-img_4950.jpg   ~Wings in Action~-img_4387_edited.jpg   ~Wings in Action~-img_4973.jpg  
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:31 AM   #13
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
I'd love to have your camera! :eek: You'll get it - just have to keep using it.
I agree with Sage. Just keep using it. I got a Canon Rebel XSi for Christmas and since then I've taken well over 5000 shots. At first if anything moved it was a blur. So I've been practicing. I've got shots of my neighbors son fishing and shots of another neighbors kids jumping on the trampoline. A car, a pet, a child.....heck I even took pictures of our pool cleaning robot for practice. I played with the shutter speeds because I had the time to do it and I'm finally able to get shots of birds in flight. Find something that moves and practice. I've got a long way to go, but I think I'm getting better every day.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #14

Default Leucistic Red-tailed Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggyNoLia View Post
The first shot is a hawk. Picture two is a great egret. Picture three is an eastern bluebird. Picture four is another great egret.
Great wing action shots, Maggy!

We spotted an amazing leucistic Red-tailed Hawk this week! See Roger's shots which were better than mine.
Attached Thumbnails
~Wings in Action~-p1100780.1-1.jpg   ~Wings in Action~-p1100797.1-1.jpg  
Old 02-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #15
Fox

Quote:
Great wing action shots, Maggy!
Thank you. I've been working hard at non blurry pictures.

Quote:
We spotted an amazing leucistic Red-tailed Hawk this week! See Roger's shots which were better than mine.

I saw those at Sage's place. They are wonderful shots! I went racing over there to see if the picture of the eagles mating was there.

We regularly watch battles between the hawks and eagles. One day they went talon to talon for a good ten minutes but neither one of us could get the shot. But I did learn the eagle will brace himself with his tail against the tree trunk and flex his wings just before the hawk comes in at him. I'll get the shot one day though. The last three days we've seen them going at it, but they are just too far away for a good shot and the wind and rain has kept me from going out in the boat.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #16
Salamander

I don't have any as dramatic as the raptors, but found a few that are postable.

Sneak Attack!
Attached Thumbnails
~Wings in Action~-072306-273.jpg   ~Wings in Action~-072306-274.jpg   ~Wings in Action~-072306-275.jpg  
Im4dabirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:36 PM   #17

Sorry, like yours, those shots were too blurry. Here's one I got of the nest with the female high in a tree in the far right of the shot.
Attached Thumbnails
~Wings in Action~-bald-eagle-nest.jpg  
Old 02-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #18
Salamander

And this shows the beautiful markings of the pine siskins (cheeky little things!)
Attached Thumbnails
~Wings in Action~-dsc03484-small.jpg  
Im4dabirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:30 PM   #19
Unicellular Fungi

You all do such a nice job getting great photos.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #20
Heron

The hummers are lovely, thanks for sharing

There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling. ~Mirabel Osler

LadySapphire22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, action shots, bird, birds, birds flying, bluebird, duck, fly, flying, flying birds, hummingbird, mallard, motion, osprey, photographs, photos, pictures, wings