Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month > Wildlife Photo Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #1
Administrator

Default Problem with snow

This originally posted by TheLorax,
Quote:
I have the manual and haven't grasped what to do with the camera after I take it off automatic. I did find a special setting for snow though. I will have to try to find it again. What exactly does a gray card do? I can't seem to find any place on the camera to insert any more chips.
Carry on.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
Naturalist/Photographer

When we take a digital image, the camera makes it's best guess regarding the "Color Temperature" of the light source and the camera firmware adjusts the color accordingly. Sometimes the result can be very good, other times it is way off. It depends on the camera, the way you have it set, the degree to which the light is made up of mixed light sources, and a lot of other things. Gray cards can be used for in-camera white balance or post-processing white balance. Many digital cameras have a custom white balance feature. A photo of the gray card is taken and used to set white balance for a sequence of photos. For post-processing white balance, a photo of the gray card in the scene is taken, and the image processing software uses the data from the pixels in the gray card area of the photo to set the white balance point for the whole image.

What is a gray card?
Camera light meters see reflected light, but it is often useful to know the incident light (the light hitting your subject). With an 18 percent gray card you can get a reflected light reading, which is essentially the same as reading incident light.

Why do we use a gray card?
Here are several situations that benefit greatly by the use of a gray card to check the exposure.
Whenever there is any sort of back lighting such as a bright sky or window behind the subject.
When there is a light source such as bulb or light fixture in front of your camera.
When there is any type of back light such as a bright sky or window behind the subject.
When a large part of the scene has a fairly dark tone like a close up of a big black car.
When a large part of the scene has a fairly light tone like a snow scene.

Dave Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, snow