Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month > Wildlife Photo Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #11
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
I have the Canon PowerShot S2 IS.
Here's info on your camera: Canon PowerShot

It's much like mine. You can set the ISO for 400 and you have a lot of other settings to work with. Just need to do some test shots to get familiar with your camera.

Before I begin a photoshoot, I choose the settings I think will be best and do test shots. Only takes a minute.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #12
Unicellular Fungi

That is the exact camera I have. Where does it tell me how to adjust the ISO settings?
Old 02-09-2009, 06:18 PM   #13

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...elTechSpecsAct

On my Lumix, I would set it in Program mode/click menu button/scroll to ISO/choose
Old 02-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #14
Unicellular Fungi

I've given up on the settings. I found where they are. They are too small to read to get where you want to be. I'm doomed to be one of those point and click people.

This is my squirrel nest without the squirrels. Eat your heart out Sage She has been working on that nest for a month.
Attached Thumbnails
Welcome to the Wildlife Photo Tips Forum-sunshines-nest.jpg  
Old 02-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #15
Salamander

Lorax, you still get great shots with that camera. It has a fast lens and great shutter speed, and continuous shooting speed. And with a 12X optical zoom you're right up there with the big boys! According to the specs that equals a 36 - 432mm lens. That's better than what I have with my dslr!

I use the continuous shooting mode most of the time. Then I can pick the best of the lot out in post processing. Just be sure and delete the 'others'. I hate doing that cause some of them are good shots too, but I have sooooo many photos I bought two extra hard drives to hold them all. You have to be brutal in deleting marginal shots. But you end up with a tremendous album of excellent shots.
Im4dabirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #16
Unicellular Fungi

If my subject doesn't move I have a chance at getting good shots. That nest couldn't exactly walk out of the frame. I do well enough with stationary objects. One thing I have learned is to make sure my back is to the sun and to be sure there is no intense light source anywhere in front of me. That screws up photos every time. From reading a little of the online manual a few weeks ago (thank you to who ever gave that to me), I found how to use that optical zoom. I always wondered what those arrows meant. I can get in a lot closer now.

I am brutal in deleting. I delete over 20 to every one I keep. You would feel very sorry for me if I posted some I thought were good that were deleted.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #17

Quote:
If my subject doesn't move I have a chance at getting good shots. That nest couldn't exactly walk out of the frame. I do well enough with stationary objects. One thing I have learned is to make sure my back is to the sun and to be sure there is no intense light source anywhere in front of me. That screws up photos every time. From reading a little of the online manual a few weeks ago (thank you to who ever gave that to me), I found how to use that optical zoom. I always wondered what those arrows meant. I can get in a lot closer now.
Yer a bloomin' scream, Lorax!

Quote:
I am brutal in deleting. I delete over 20 to every one I keep. You would feel very sorry for me if I posted some I thought were good that were deleted.
That's excellent! Too many people save all the pix! :eek:

My husband actually got shots of EAGLES MATING today! :eek: And I pointed out the female sitting there before the male flew in! The shots weren't great because they were far off but I'm so jealous!

Yesterday and again today he got pix of a leucistic Red-tailed Hawk flying! We're going back there every day til I get some good shots! It's about twenty miles away. Pix are here.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:22 AM   #18
Salamander

Talking

Quote:
I found how to use that optical zoom. I always wondered what those arrows meant. I can get in a lot closer now.
Laughed out loud when I read this! What a hoot! Now we expect to see some really great shots of the nest.
Im4dabirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

Not trying to insult you but do you know what the little flower button on the left hand side of the camera body does for you and how to press it long enough for your camera to enter the macro mode?
Old 02-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #20
Unicellular Fungi

No insult taken. That was the only button I found out how to work. It's been a godsend. Thanks for mentioning it.

Tags
camera, camera tips, forum, nature photography tips, photo, photo tips, photographer, photographers, photographing, photographing close-ups, photography, photography tips, photos, picture taking tips, taking pictures, tips, wildlife