Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Wildlife Photo Tips (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-photo-tips/)
-   -   Frost Photos (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-photo-tips/4128-frost-photos.html)

Equilibrium 10-19-2009 11:46 PM

Frost Photos

2 Attachment(s)
I did something right. What it is I did right... I don't know.

havalotta 10-20-2009 12:01 AM

Oh WOW!
Looks like it's sugar coated. GREAT, whoopie, Hoo Hoo, and even more.... Thats contest quality.

Sage 10-20-2009 12:01 AM

Wow Lib! The camera is still going strong! I love them both, but the second one is astonishing! Love the simplicity of it. SEE ZOOMED X2!

Equilibrium 10-20-2009 12:14 AM

The camera is back from the dead. I had good natural lighting. Don't you guys have any frost photos?

MaggyNoLia 10-20-2009 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equilibrium (Post 45025)
The camera is back from the dead. I had good natural lighting. Don't you guys have any frost photos?

I would be more than happy to provide some pictures if only we would get some frost.

Equilibrium 10-20-2009 12:31 AM

"I would be more than happy to provide some pictures if only we would get some frost." Braggart. Frost nailed everything I hadn't brought in and nailed my two little kale plants. You do get frost there though a couple times in fall don't you?

MaggyNoLia 10-20-2009 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equilibrium (Post 45034)
"I would be more than happy to provide some pictures if only we would get some frost." Braggart. Frost nailed everything I hadn't brought in and nailed my two little kale plants. You do get frost there though a couple times in fall don't you?

We do and it's getting close. The end of October, beginning of November is usually our first cold snap and that arrived a week or so early this year. Last night was 44 and tonight should be 46, and then we're supposed to go back to the 50's and 60's at night for the next week or so.

swamp thing 10-20-2009 02:02 AM

No frost here yet either, but it's been close. I think our average first frost is the fourth week of October, which is later than parts of South Carolina?!

This outfit has average frost dates, but ignore the "wildflower" seed mixes:
Frost Date Selector Page - Victory Seed Company

biigblueyes 10-20-2009 08:09 AM

Thanks for the link to frost dates.

MaggyNoLia 10-20-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp thing (Post 45043)
No frost here yet either, but it's been close. I think our average first frost is the fourth week of October, which is later than parts of South Carolina?!

We're the last area of our state to get frost and that is mostly limited to inland areas. The coastal areas don't see as much frost as we do and of course as you move west through the state and further north your likelihood of seeing frost is greater.

I don't know what exactly predisposes one area or another to frost. Does dew become frost at certain temperatures? Is there more frost in areas with higher humidity or does humidity even factor in it? <sighs> Now I'm going to have to go look this up when I have time because I'm making myself curious.

I try hard not to picture our country on a flat map when I look at weather and stuff. When I first moved to Charleston, South Carolina I thought it was the weirdest thing that Atlanta, Georgia could get snow and we wouldn't, but that was only because I was assuming that Atlanta was further south than we were, but it's not. Those longitude lines and latitude lines sure make a difference in the weather we'll get so I've learned to view weather and our countries geographical makeup on a globe for a much better idea or picture of where things are.