Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month > Wildlife Photo Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Grub

Default SD card readers/SD card help

Anyone use or know anything about readers? I just transfer the pix from my camera via USB. But with the trail cams I wanted to leave them up and just swap out cards. I bought a Dynex 6 in 1 reader. I put the card in tonight, and nothing. The program told me the card was formatted, so I'm not sure what happened. The camera said we had 53 pix on it. Nothing. Put the card in my camera and it formatted just fine and saved pix. So I had swapped out the card that was in my camera to the trail cam. Hopefully it works. I think there were pix on it though. So we'll see if that works. Am I just not using the card reader right? I dunno I plugged it into the puter, put the card in, tried opening the card and nothing ( makes sense as there was nothng on the card apparently) Was the card not formatted so it didn't accept pix? I know it isn't the camera. We used it all last fall and winter without a card, but it only holds 27-40 pix without a card. We wanted to be able to leave the cameras alone for a week before checking them so we decided to try cards. It's a Moultrie I60 in case that helps.
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Garden Angel

I'm sure you know this, but when you put a card in the computer often regards it as a separate "drive", that can be accessed through "My Computer". See if the "My Computer" icon has a "dynex" drive on it, maybe?
CincyGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

I believe formatting essentially deletes all pix
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGarden View Post
I'm sure you know this, but when you put a card in the computer often regards it as a separate "drive", that can be accessed through "My Computer". See if the "My Computer" icon has a "dynex" drive on it, maybe?
Yep, it comes up as the card actually. I formatted the card in my camera, and the reader worked. My transfer software popped right up. I'm thinking I didn't have it formatted right the first time. Hard to say with trail cams. It's a real crapshoot if they are going to work or not. We'll see what tomorrow brings. I don't like going in where we have the camera that often, but it's senseless to leave it up not working!
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
Mentor

If I understand right you want to use a SDCARD reader so you can swap cards and not bring the trail cam in. There is no issue with doing this. I would turn the trail cam off before removing the SDCARD to make sure it has flushed all the data onto the card and properly unmounted it, INSERT the new card, and turn the cam back on.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
Lungwort

It's a good idea too to reformat the card in the camera in which it is going to be used after the photos are transferred to the pc. It shouldn't be an issue swapping among cameras, but sometimes it is.

Always use the "safely remove" function after accessing the card/card reader on the PC.

Flash memory is fairly inexpensive and doesn't last forever (it should, theoretically, but it doesn't, really). If you've been using the same cards a few years, just trash them and get new ones. This may seem drastic, but losing rare and precious photos is a major bummer.
Xena is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
card, readers, readers or sd