Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month > Wildlife Photo Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #21
Pope

Equilibrium, I am with you, both in spirit and in wallet!
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #22
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

You can make a bean bag really easy.
Stuff a sock or sew a square pouch for yourself and fill it with rice.
Sew the end shut and there you have it!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #23
Lungwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
... I want everything you are all suggesting but I can't spend more than $50.
Ebay or Craigslist, a used Bogen 3021 is a fine starter/intermediate unit. Watch the listings and be patient.
Xena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #24
Official Plant Nerd

The pillow pad is close to what I am using. The Bogen is really nice and high quality but it's over 4' tall and goes up to 6'. I want something that is going to get me close to the ground to photograph tiny things which is why I was thinking a tripod no bigger than 18" tall that might collapse down to 6". I'm after tiny things that are low to the ground. My fault. I should have said what I wanted to photograph.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #25
Grub

If I remember I will check the Vanguards at work for you tomorrow. I can't say as any will go as low as 6". but I know there is one less than or about 18". I will poke around if I have time out on the floor. I have a Canon tripod. It is nice. It goes down fairly low. maybe 24". I rarely use a tripod though, even for landscapes. I never have the luxury of being able to wait in one spot for the right shot. I like to take pix of waterfowl in flight, and a tripod is pretty much out for that. It isn't uncommon for me to take 200 pix to get 5 really good ones with print film. Even with the 500mm lens, I don't have alot of trouble with shake, but it's also a high end camera. I think I have a steady arm after all the years of shooting firearms!
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:18 AM   #26
Heron

If you just can't swing the bucks for one of the Velbons that go really low, check out the Sunpak Mini-Pro Plus tripod, click here for the Amazon page that shows it. Lowest it goes is 7". highest is 12", only costs $21.95 + shipping.

John

Last edited by Cirsium; 07-31-2010 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Repaired link
jpdenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #27
Lungwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
The pillow pad is close to what I am using. The Bogen is really nice and high quality but it's over 4' tall and goes up to 6'. I want something that is going to get me close to the ground to photograph tiny things which is why I was thinking a tripod no bigger than 18" tall that might collapse down to 6". I'm after tiny things that are low to the ground. My fault. I should have said what I wanted to photograph.
I know that people use the Bogen for macro photography. Not sure if the column reverses or if the legs splay out completely to get close to the ground. Perhaps both. A high quality tripod would have both capabilities.

But whatever. If you don't like it that's fine, really, I was just making a suggestion based on experience and observation. Avoiding spending a lot on a tripod often causes the person to end up spending as much ultimately on several cheaper alternatives that always fall short of meeting one's needs. It's a common phenomenon.

G'luck, and I do hope you can find what you need within your budget.
Xena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #28
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

For shots that close I roll my fist up in a ball and set the camera on it.
For further shots I lean it against a tree. I learned that shooting firearms too.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #29
Grub

Gander mtn has a Vanguard that goes 11 3/4" up to 20" (at out store anyway a bigger one might have more) for $20. I was pretty busy today so that's all I had a chance to check out. They look pretty decent for the money.
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:49 PM   #30
Official Plant Nerd

"I know that people use the Bogen for macro photography." I found a used one on eBay. It's up on the block. How would it be used to photograph the smaller things close to the ground? It looks so big. I don't want to get into that cycle of buying garbage that I won't use. I'm in the mode of emptying out my house and everything I can get rid of is going to Salvation Army or Good Will.

Tags
mini, tripods