Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month > Wildlife Photo Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 07:29 PM   #11
Salamander

coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xena View Post
B&H is an excellent online vendor. I've used them for many years. They aren't always the lowest price, but they are solid
Totally agree. I've been doing business with them for years. Reputable, easy to do business with, simple and quick returns/refunds/exchanges if there is a problem.

Quiet
Old 08-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #12
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I have a tripod made by vanguard. I used it for filming animals in the woods years ago.
Since it fit my new camera I'll give it a try on the full moon tonight.
Jupiter is the closest to earth it's been in a long time. Something worth capturing.
Tonight is my 3rd night out trying various settings on the moon. Maybe the tripod will work wonders.........
Step out tonight and give it a try yourself. See what you come up with. I started a new thread so Moon Me!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:14 AM   #13
Fox

My dh gave me his old walking staff-- it has camera mount built in, so it also functions as a monopod. There's a wooden knob on top that unscrews revealing a 1/4 inch screw. It's a little like this only not as fancy: Leki Sierra Antishock SLS Staff at REI.com
Calliandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #14
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdenk View Post
For low stuff, mushrooms and plants mainly, I use a Velbon Ultra Maxi F, now discontinued, but the Ultra Maxi-L looks to be essentially identical. Small and light, easy to carry with in the field, and sturdy enough, especially if you don't extend the legs way out. But even with the legs fully extended, I just push downward a bit on the tripod using my left hand and that adds enough stability for sharp shots. I like mine a lot.

These have legs that break out almost horizontally and a center post that unscrews to let you get the tripod head down pretty low, 6.5" off the ground.

John
I'd like to clarify that the Velbon, especially when used with the legs at shorter lengths, is extremely sturdy, check my photos to see the results. And the legs can be spread almost flat, so there's absolutely no chance of knocking it over when using it really low. It works really well for macro and close-up stuff. I put my Nikon D70 with a Sigma 150mm macro( a pretty big, heavy lens) on it with no problems. That combo might be a little tippy if the tripod legs are in the most upright position, but not bad, and it's short enough that a tip-over probably won't cause any damage unless you're shooting on exposed rocks or something like that. I've even used the Sigma macro on a focusing stage, definitely a heavy combo for that tiny tripod, with really good results.

It's worth spending a bit more on a tripod, in my opinion. I tried all the cheap options first, and they all ended up in the box of camera stuff I never use. The $130 I spent on the Velbon was well worth it.

John
jpdenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #15
Pope

(cough, cough) I'll just quietly hide my Sony DCS-S40 behind my back while the rest of you aren't looking...
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #16
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

You take very nice shots..............

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #17
Pope

Thank you, sweet havalotta!
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #18
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
(cough, cough) I'll just quietly hide my Sony DCS-S40 behind my back while the rest of you aren't looking...
Why would you hide it? The results that you get are what's important. I've had a lot of photos published that I took with my first digital camera which was a Kodak DC-260, 1.6 mega-pixels and fairly mediocre image quality by today's standards.

When I'm not in the mood to lug the DSLR and heavy camera bag around, I grab my Panasonic FZ-5, takes excellent pictures too. It's nowhere near as versatile as my DSLR, and I can't use it at higher ISO's, but in good lighting conditions, I get excellent results from it. The image quality of the average compact digital camera nowadays is astounding.

John
Old 08-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

Can you guys go easy on me and find something cheaper. I have a bean bag that Sage told me to use. I got my first moon shot and good fireworks photos this year using her bean bag idea. Much better than the pringles container I used to use. The bean bag was only a few dollars. I want everything you are all suggesting but I can't spend more than $50.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:21 AM   #20
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Can you guys go easy on me and find something cheaper. I have a bean bag that Sage told me to use. I got my first moon shot and good fireworks photos this year using her bean bag idea. Much better than the pringles container I used to use. The bean bag was only a few dollars. I want everything you are all suggesting but I can't spend more than $50.
There are "bean bags" of sorts that are made expressly for photography, maybe check that out. Click here to see one that Adorama sells.

And then start saving up. Sooner or later, you really ought to pick up a decent tripod if you want to maximize the sharpness of your photos.

John

Tags
mini, tripods