Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Wildlife Photo Tips (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-photo-tips/)
-   -   Photo attempts (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-photo-tips/2068-photo-attempts.html)

TheLorax 05-23-2009 11:01 AM

Photo attempts

4 Attachment(s)
My attempts at a Sage photo. They did not turn out that well. Anything I could do better? There were bugs on the twigs I was trying to photograph. I was wishing I had a stool to step on to get me higher up. Should I have used a flash outside? Normally I would have deleted all of these. I did delete one that was even worse than these four.

Sage 05-23-2009 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
2-4 are great. Do you want to isolate the subject from the background? As in Attachment 4032
For that,
  • set your dial to "A" (aperture priority) and
  • choose the lowest number
  • use the smallest focus box and place it on your subject
Test. If subject is small try macro. Try flash with DIY ringflash. Keep testing til you get what you want! :D

ttonkajo 05-23-2009 01:17 PM

testing for photo

ttonkajo 05-23-2009 01:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
testing again

TheLorax 05-23-2009 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For you for temporary avatar

TheLorax 05-23-2009 01:55 PM

You did it. Congratulations ttonkajo.

Sage, you tell flattering fibs. What I want is for more of my photos to turn out close to what yours look like. Those photos of mine are very bad. I enlarged them and they are horrible. I didn't know I could use a flash outside. I crushed my ringflash and need to make another one. The a isn't anywhere on my camera but maybe I'm missing it. I can have somebody else take a look for that and tell me if I'm not seeing it.

Sage 05-23-2009 02:02 PM

What's the model # of your supershot?

TheLorax 05-23-2009 02:08 PM

I have the Canon PowerShot S2 IS. Mine is the one that is only 5.0 mega pixels. There are other S2's that are different and that have more mega pixels. They were more money. Mine is the basic S2 IS.

I have an auto setting on my dial. If I rotate the dial up one notch by taking my thumb and turning it counter clockwise that gets me into the P setting where I need to be to hit the flower button macro that I know is on the left hand side of the lens.

TheLorax 05-23-2009 02:09 PM

Is the model number the serial number of the camera? I can't read that. It is there on the camera somewhere. Can I wait until my husband comes home and have him tell me what it is?

havalotta 05-23-2009 02:56 PM

I have problems getting things to focus in the lower lighting in the woods. I need to learn how to manually focus mine! I liked the photo you did with the horizontal branches included.