Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month > Wildlife Photo Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
Unicellular Fungi

Default Canon PowerShot S2 super macro question

I have one of the S2 cameras. They are supposed to all be basically the same from a function stand point.

Somebody here gave me a link to the manual. I have the manual saved to my desk top.

I know how to get the camera into macro so the little flower shows in the LCD display. Thanks to the member who gave me the link to the enlargeable online manual for the S2 series of Canon cameras. The print in the book was too small to read.

I do not know how to get this camera into super macro mode. This is a popular camera. Two other members have a similar S2 model to me. Can somebody please tell me how to get this camera into super macro mode?

This is what the manual says,
Repeatedly press the (flower button) to display the (S flower button). Pressing the (flower button) again will cancel the super macro mode.

The manual is available online. What I typed above is there for everyone to see. I ran across a very small tree frog and am going insane repeatedly pressing this flower button to get it into the super macro mode. I also have seeds I wintersowed that germinated. They asked me to please photograph my seedlings to help other members recognize what they are growing.

Somebody please help me before I throw this camera through a wall or toss it in a pond. The directions in the official manual are not getting me into super macro mode.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Boy. That's screwy. It does say that in the manual for the S2's. That's the only "official" manual I know of. They must have lost something in translation either that or they need to hire a technical editor. What you need to do is turn the dial to P. Now go ahead and put it in macro mode. Once it is in macro and you can see the flower in the LCD screen all you have to do is hold down the flower button until you see the flower in the LCD screen change to a flower with the letter S inside of it. I don't know about all this repeatedly pressing the button because all that does is turn off the macro and turn it on again. Don't forget to turn the dial back to auto when you're done shooting in super macro.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
Co-Administrator

I have a different camera, but this feature and the way it works in common to many cameras.

When you turn your camera on it should start in the normal mode. Pressing the flower button once should take it to macro mode. The little flower symbol should appear on the display screen.

Pressing the button again should take you into super macro mode. On my camera, the flower symbol changes by adding a tiny s to the bottom left of the flower. Like adding a lower leaf to the flower. It's very tiny. You may simply be missing it. It might take a magnifying glass to see it.

Pressing the flower button again takes you back to the normal mode.
Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Unicellular Fungi

I think I got it and can do it again. I have been playing with the camera. So far so good. I can get it into super macro every time. Thank you thank you thank you.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

I don't even have "super macro"!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
Unicellular Fungi

With the way you take photos you don't need one. And then there are people like me who need all the help they can get. I was able to get my camera into super macro every time I wanted to do it. I did have problems remembering to change the dial back to automatic for regular shots.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
Carbon

TheLorax, I've had the same exact problem, but have not yet been able to use the super macro. I'd love help from anyone on how to get it to work!

According to the manual, the Super Macro is available in only a few settings. I tried three of the listed settings and couldn't get it to work in any of them. I didn't necessarily start with the camera set on "auto," but I did turn the wheel to the P setting, the My Colors setting, and another (think it may have been TV). I couldn't get it to come up in any of them.
  • I tried pressing the button once, then again, but all this does is turn on the regular macro, then turn it off.
  • I tried pressing the button and holding it down, but this just turned on the regular macro. No matter how long I held it down, the flower didn't change to the one with an "S." When I let the button go, then hit it again, it turned the regular macro off.
  • I tried letting different amounts of time lapse between pushing the button for the regular macro and hitting it again to bring up the super macro, but this didn't have any effect: whether I pushed the button right after the first push or waited 20 seconds, all it did was turn the regular macro off.
  • I tried hitting the button "repeatedly," but this just turned the regular macro on and off over again.
Though I could easily be missing the "S" on the flower, I'm pretty certain that's not what's happening, since the flower usually just disappears after I hit the button again.I'd love any help with this that you can give. Thank you!
LaurieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:44 AM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

Hiya LaurieG!!! Welcome welcome welcoms!!!! Cannon's directions suck to be totally blunt. What you do after you have it in macro is you hold the flower button down UNTIL you see the S inside the flower in your view finder. That's when you're in supermacro. The only mode you can start from is P. Doesn't matter what their book tells you.... nobody I know can get it into supermacro from any mode except P. That's it. You have to move the dial to P before you press the flower button and before you hold the flower button down to get it into super macro. If it doesn't work for you.... you need to take the camera back because it's not working. I had that exact camera and it died on me after I took thousands and thousands of photos. It's a good camera and that's how you get it into super macro. BTW.... the super macro isn't all it's cracked up to be. I rarely use it because you're so close to what you're photographing you end up getting shadows on half of the bug unless the sun is just right overhead. If there's any wind at all or if your hand shakes.... your photo will be out of focus no matter what you do even if you're using a bean bag and another problem is that if it's a big bug.... only a part of it is in focus so I usually use the regular macro mode for everything unless I've got a bug that isn't moving too fast on me. Here's two photos in macro and two more of the same bug in supermacro I took today since I had some time to blow off and the sun was directly overhead so there were no shadows. There's not much difference between macro and supermacro IMO but you would have to crop the first two photos and you don't have to crop the last two. This is why I hardly ever bother screwing around with supermacro. I'm not even close to being a good photographer and the photos I'm taking are for me personally for the fun of taking them. And.... to top it off.... I always forget to move the dial from P back to auto when I'm done so photos I take after I've been messing with that super macro are always screwed up.
Attached Thumbnails
Canon PowerShot S2 super macro question-img_3809.jpg   Canon PowerShot S2 super macro question-img_3811.jpg   Canon PowerShot S2 super macro question-img_3812.jpg   Canon PowerShot S2 super macro question-img_3813.jpg  
Old 08-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

With my fujifilm camera.....
I start in the auto mode and then press the left side of the round dial once to get into the macro mode, twice to get it to go to the super macro. I'm not into any P settings like you're talking about to get there.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #10
Unicellular Fungi

Very nice photos Lib.

I own the Cannon PowerShot S2. P was the only mode from which I was able to access the super macro setting. Perhaps this limitation to P mode exclusively was a defect in our camera model? Please try again starting from P and macro. You will hear a faint beep once you access the super macro mode. When you hear the beep, immediately lift your finger from the flower button.

Another option might be to visit the retailer where you purchased the camera. Sometimes it is easier learning how to access a function when we have a visual as opposed to being talked through the process.

Tags
camera, cameras, canon, closeup, closeup photos, macro, photo, photoghraphers, photographer, photographing, photographing close-ups, powershot, question, settings, super, super macro