Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Wildlife Photo Tips (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-photo-tips/)
-   -   ~DIY Ringflash for Macros~ (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-photo-tips/1693-diy-ringflash-macros.html)

Sage 04-29-2009 11:28 PM

~DIY Ringflash for Macros~

5 Attachment(s)
Virtually free! Unless you spend alot of time doing macro work and can afford hundreds of dollars, try this alternative.

Time to make: 5-10 minutes
Cost: pennies
Materials: Styrofoam cereal bowls - available where paper plates are sold, e.g., WalMart, Walgreens. I like small and medium.

1. Everything you need
  2. Place camera lens end on center of bowl and draw around it
  3. Cut out circle
  4. With scissors, cut off edge
  5. Finished product
Wasn't that easy?

Use the medium size for close-ups and the small for macros to diffuse the bright flash lighting and avoid glare off shiny surfaces.

(This item is UNneccesary for regular photography.)

Sage 04-29-2009 11:37 PM

~Examples of photography using this~

3 Attachment(s)
Be sure to set your camera on "Macro" or "Aperature (low number)". Remember to reset back to regular settings when finished. :rolleyes:

Sage 04-29-2009 11:43 PM

~Close-up pet photography~

3 Attachment(s)
  • My camera
  • The Cookiecat :)
  • Look carefully and you'll see the ringflash reflection in her eye ;) It wouldn't be noticeable unless you knew to look for it
Using this is good for flash pet photography because you avoid the weird look in their eyes.

TheLorax 04-30-2009 12:44 AM

Oh boy. I was really off base. I literally cut out the hole in the bottom of a round food storage container and stuck it on the end of my camera. You literally used a styrofoam bowl. I feel so stupid.

NEWisc 04-30-2009 01:19 AM

This really looks interesting, I've got to try it on some insect closeups.

Could you add the instructions about how you get the bugs to hold still while you photograph them? :D

Sage 04-30-2009 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLorax (Post 18155)
Oh boy. I was really off base. I literally cut out the hole in the bottom of a round food storage container and stuck it on the end of my camera. You literally used a styrofoam bowl. I feel so stupid.

No, really, that was the general idea and may work great on soft, non-shiny subjects! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEWisc (Post 18159)
This really looks interesting, I've got to try it on some insect closeups.

Could you add the instructions about how you get the bugs to hold still while you photograph them? :D

:D Absolutely!
  • Catch the bug in a glass
  • Cover glass with saran
  • Refrigerate for a few minutes while you set up camera and get a cloth or something to put the bug on
  • Take bug out of fridge
  • Work fast before he warms up
I kept photographing a spider this way for a week! He'd spin a cocoon, eat it and then spin another!

Equilibrium 04-30-2009 09:55 PM

We should ask suunto what that spider is. You should put that spider photo in his contest. You took that photo with that homemade ring flash? Awesome!

Fearless Weeder 04-30-2009 09:56 PM

Good work Sage.

charlotte 05-01-2009 12:08 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this wonderful idea. Bye-bye harsh shadows!

If anyone asks me what that thing is on my camera, I'll share with them -- unless they're not nice, in which case I'll tell them my camera is allergic to photoflea bites and has to wear an Elizabethan collar to prevent it from biting itself, duh.
Charlotte

charlotte 05-01-2009 12:16 AM

Great inventions sometimes come from people perceiving ideas from a different angle. Sometimes the results are spectacular and sometimes they're...unique. You're just exercising a trait necessary for survival of the species.

Me, I knew where to put it, I just couldn't picture the bowl--I was thinking of a container shaped like a Ben 'n' Jerry's carton and couldn't imagine how that would work. You are not alone :D
Charlotte