Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month > Wildlife Photo Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2015, 12:17 PM   #1
Heron

Default Introduction to Macro Photography

I have been taking pictures of bugs and flowers in somewhat macro for awhile, but shooting in full auto most of the time. This creates conditions at times were you can't get the shot you want. Also all the smaller details that are important on a macro scale that can distract from the subject.

In this video he goes over all the details to consider for taking macro photography with a LOT of examples and showing why things work and how equipment works to achieve the results. The examples are for SLR or exchangeable lens cameras, but there are techniques that don't require any special equipment.

Note: Released by B&H (sells camera equipment). Advertising in the video is at the start/end.

Thomas Shahan creates some amazing photographs of insects in macro, and has some additional/complementary techniques, with examples in the field.

rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Ooooo Thank you!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #3
Grub

I'm going on this photo workshop next month which will involve macro as well as landscape. Really looking forward to it, and then coming home to apply the techniques in my garden. Last year I took their hummingbird workshop and it was great. Highly recommend it! The Gerlachs are great instructors and their workshops are pretty affordable compared to most. Also they have recently published a book on Close Up Photography in Nature.
gymell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:34 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I used to love taking macro shots of wildflowers in my twenties...with three lenses that could be used alone or in combination )screwed into each other and onto the cameras lens. This was back before digital cameras. I think it is time for me to get with the times.

Thanks for posting.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:19 PM   #5
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I'd like to get back to taking macros but alas now....it's too late as I broke the newest camera I once had.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:29 PM   #6
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I'd like to get back to taking macros but alas now....it's too late as I broke the newest camera I once had.
Sorry.

I'd like to purchase a really good camera...telephoto lens and all...but, for now I'm down to my smart phone.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
introduction, macro, photography