Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month > Wildlife Photo Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
Heron

Default When its cloudy, Picture Time!

Been taking pictures for awhile now and found a few things that help.

Take pictures when its cloudy, especially after it rains.
Colors seem to pop intensely and the darker color of the leaves, overcast, and water drops make for some intense photos. Removes the high contrast on the leaves where the sun hits and shadows other areas.

#1 Dappled shade makes it hard to see whats there. With automatic settings it saturates the the light. You could fix it but it will blow out the sunny areas.

#2 Sun saturates the area and the shade is deep and dark. Hard to see things that may be in the shadows.

#3 Cloudy picture. Easier to see the individual plants.

#4 Rules were meant to be broken. Since I am not going for detail but the atmosphere, this works out too.

#5 Showing how you can use sun saturation to your advantage in highlighting plants in dappled shade. Makes the background dark and the colors pop. Timing is obviously important.

So maybe pictures all the time.
Attached Thumbnails
When its cloudy, Picture Time!-tumblr_n5y6hz6mzo1rz61a5o1_1280.jpg   When its cloudy, Picture Time!-06220-20140529-2.jpg   When its cloudy, Picture Time!-dsc05895.jpg   When its cloudy, Picture Time!-dsc06790.jpg   When its cloudy, Picture Time!-14443703704_1ce4322c9e_b.jpg  

rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I love the shot of your pentstemon!

I agree, after a rain things really seem to pop.

It seems rare to me, but I remember a favorite photo I took as a teen with a dark, dark sky and sun in the foreground. I've seen that once since and I have to say it makes for some cool photos.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:24 PM   #3
Alternate POM Judge

Thanks rb, You know I need picture help. That is the opposite of what I've been thinking. I thought oh it's cloudy I'll wait until there is sun to take pictures. But things do look washed out in the sun.

Tags
cloudy, picture, time