Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month > Wildlife Photo Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Anyone on Facebook here?

I didn't know where to put this so.... here it is since it's about our photos. I don’t make $$$ off any of my photos but…. I’m thinking there’s some folk here who do and I ran into this, ‘Instagram says it now has the right to sell your photos’, Instagram says it now has the right to sell your photos | Politics and Law - CNET News, “In its first big policy shift since Facebook bought the photo-sharing site, Instagram claims the right to sell users' photos without payment or notification. Oh, and there's no way to opt out.” FWIW…. I don’t have a Facebook account. I’ve got friends that do and I know they’ve put up some of my photos in their spaces or whatever you call it over there. Not that there’d be anything I could do about it but…. I for sure wouldn’t be happy if 1 of my photos of say….. a Butterfly Bush or a Bradford Pear in their “space” ended up getting sold off to 1 of Facebook’s new “partners” who could then use it “legally” marketing and selling an invasive plant. I’m thinking Facebook wasn’t raking in the kinda $$$ it thought it would be raking in after I read about them losing members to “privacy” concerns so they’re probably looking at ways to replace that lost revenue and this is how they’re gonna do it. Problem is…. if they’re successful…. and they probably will be…. others like Photobucket and MySpace and Flickr and Pinterest and Shutterfly will start following in their footsepts changing their terms of service agreements leaving the people using them with zip nadda no control over how their photos will be used and worse yet….. no way to opt out.
--
Anywhooo….. that kinda goes hand in hand with this, ‘Facebook accused of 'massive data grab' over automatic phone pic upload app’, Facebook accused of 'massive data grab' over automatic phone pic upload app | World News | newkerala.com, “Social networking site Facebook has reportedly been accused of a massive 'data grab' over encouraging users to allow the it to automatically synchronise photos from their mobile devices to the social networks servers.” I have no clue who they’ll be selling all that data too but…. I’m sure there’s a market out there and buyers waiting and it’s making me nervous because of the increase in identity fraud that will be sure to follow. I only pay attention to this “stuff” because when I see it…. I send links to the kids so they’re careful about what info they put online and what apps they put on their “thingies”.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Any time a company changes something, some reporters say stuff that isn't true or a company clarifies stuff they wrote. I keep very tight privacy controls on my accounts, but I'm not going to operate from a stance of fear either,
I subscribe to legitimate tech info sources such as Pete Cashmore at Mashable and many others who stay ahead of the game. I use Facebook, Pinterest, Flickr, Twitter. Some of the accounts I have are specifically for Peregrine reporting.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
Fox

The thing is, FB has always been quite adept at stealth info collection, 'clueless membership' is just part of the fun. Fine print & little 'after the fact' notification are typical strategies used by webhosts. I'm not even happy with my yahoo email account I've had for many years, try and 'delete' those crazy old email photos, sent to me, or actually uploaded by me, the email is easy enough to delete, but the photos or gif images remain on the email account...I haven't figured out how to remove photos from yahoo email yet. I wish there was a way to clean up files at webhost sites as easily as it is on the home pc, and an "I quit, delete me & my stuff button" hahaaha.

This news today about the FB email option, to generate $$$, is just another ridiculous gimmick of the clown show. BBC News - Facebook tests charging $1 to send messages to strangers

Personally I never joined FB, because of some of their tricky practices, and stealth linking of info...all of which is 'for sale' at any time.

I know one thing, USCongress legalized most of this kind of stuff 10 years ago when they made 'cookies & subsequent 3rd party cookies' a commercial reality.

ww

Last edited by wildwatcher; 12-21-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: ~~~
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

I used to post at Dave's garden and he went and started ever-so-quietly "monetizing" his WHOLE site before he sold out and next thing I knew.... there were paid writers using my photos and his "venders" were using my photos to sell some highly invasive plants and there was zip nadda nothing I could do about it. That was the end of ever posting at that site again.... greedy little polluting pig he was.... he didn't care about the environment... or us... all he wanted to do was keep us uploading our "free" photos so anyone paying him $$$ for advertising would have a base to launch their targeted marketing. Come to think of it.... we couldn't delete any of our d-mails because supposedly they were threads or some other bogus reason that was given that their system just didn't allow the deletion of d-mails which... aren't called private messages over there. Here we can delete our private messages so I didn't buy whatever I was told about not being able to delete private messages and sure enough.... after I stopped posting over there and went back AFTER the site was sold and Dave was gone.... I found that EVERY d-mail....er uh... private message Dave had ever sent me about them paying my subscription again to keep me adding photos and the offer of some sort of a Uber position had gone ***poof***. For what ever reason.... they don't want their members deleting d-mails and my bet is.... they're doing that because some day down the road they're planning on changing their terms of service and giving their vendors access to the demographics of their members for direct mail marketing or something. I don't have warm fuzzy feelings for that website. They're way too greedy anytime there's a buck to be made and... I definitely didn't like it when the cheerios started flying across my screen and dogs selling bones or something started running out across my screen and barking at me. Talk about a jolt to the system!!!!
--
Facebook.... I dunno much about it. I'm not on it and I never read their old terms of service and don't even know if they have a new terms of service or not but.... what I read at that link I found made me a little bit nervous for anyone who makes $$$ of their photos.... if there's even a shread of truth to no opt out provision... that's totally scummy and worse yet.... it could hurt a lot of little people who earn their livings selling their art. Maybe there's nothing to it but.... somehow.... I think we're gonna find out there was something to it.

Tags
facebook