Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month > Wildlife Photo Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
Fox

magnifying glass Handy Adjustable LED Light

I've been looking for an adjustable LED light for several weeks. I have a microscope that has a light, but it always seems to be a little too dim. The subject always seemed to need a little more light to bring out the detail I was looking for.

The light would also be very helpful for taking macros with my camera; especially those indoor closeups of insects, seeds, and other small objects.

I finally found one at my local Menards store that seems to fit the bill. It has a nice bright white light and it can be adjusted to almost any position. It's also the type with a single bright bulb. The kind that has multiple LED bulbs never seem to be as bright or as white. It's only about 8 inches high (max), but that is just what I needed. Here's the one I got:

Handy Adjustable LED Light-led_light.jpg

Guidesman 3W Spiderlight at Menards

It works very well, but I'm a little concerned that the 3 watt power usage is going to be a battery hog. The 'constant on' battery life rating is only 1.5 hours.

After getting this one, and now knowing what to look for, I think this 1 watt light might be a better option.
Amazon.com: Joby Gorillatorch Adjustable and Flexible Tripod Flashlight, Gray: Home Improvement

Both of these lights have legs that can be configured in almost any position which means that I can get the light from just the right angle and at just the right distance. Both also have magnetic feet so they can be attached to metal objects that way, but I wouldn't use the one I got on a vertical surface. Just a slight touch and the magnets let go.

If you've been looking for a little more light on some small detail work, or for viewing small objects, one of these kinds of lights might be very helpful.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Looks like something that could be used to take better E-bay photos if one does that sort of thing.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

I picked up this light that's solar and I've used it to take photos in the kitchen on overcast days, SolarLite with Battery Backup: $24.95 including shipping (US). I know this probably sounds stupid but.... could you duck tape the solar light I picked up to those magnetic legs? The little light I bought is real bright and it's still running on the original power charge so it's not a battery hog.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
Fox

Actually that might be doable. On the one that I have the tripod legs detach from the flashlight head. It's a simple clip, similar to the way an external flash attaches to a camera.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adjustable, bright, flashlight, handy, led, light, position, tips, tools, tripod, tripod flashlight