Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #21
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeWonderful View Post
Wow! I've always thought of doing that indoors....but this might be the final push to get me to try it. That is great looking lettuce!
Seeing it again makes me want to try it.

I wish I had the tray and light system we bought for my father many years ago at Christmas. That really helped his mood which was always low in the dark days of winter. I think the combination of more "daylight" and being able to grow something did the trick. I must say that I like your compact system as it is les cumbersome and takes up less space than what he had.

Hmm, there's another thing to look into. I'm glad I got another look at this thread.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #22

musical notes4

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Think I'll have myself a nice cool fresh salad tonight after fighting the flue for the most of the week here. Eating again is good!
Glad you are feeling better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I tried sprouting some chia seed on a window sill. It did great until.... the cats jumped up on the counter and gave it a few haircuts too many when I was at work.
All that comes to mind is: "Ch-chi-chi-chia!"
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #23
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
Broccoli, anyone? The one one the right is just over a foot wide.

I have snow envy. Such pretty pictures of snowy scenes. So I thought I'd inspire Veggie Envy.

What's growing in your world right now? To be fair, you snow bound folks can include pics of your root cellared veggies.
I'm another one envious of your beautiful broccoli. I wish I could get large heads like that.

As for winter veggies, we are still enjoying winter squash. I puree it and sneak it into everything, such as spaghetti sauce and lasagna, and my kids gobble it up happily (and unknowingly!). Oddly, if I cook it up sweetly with brown sugar, the kids reject it.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #24
WG Facilitator

Hmmmmm, kids that prefer veggies to taste like veggies - that's unusual.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #25
Official Plant Nerd

What about just mashed with a little pepper and butter? Our kids ate squash and rutabaga that way.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeWonderful View Post

As for winter veggies, we are still enjoying winter squash. I puree it and sneak it into everything, such as spaghetti sauce and lasagna, and my kids gobble it up happily (and unknowingly!). Oddly, if I cook it up sweetly with brown sugar, the kids reject it.
Interesting. I like the way you think.

When I was a vegetarian (who is not crazy about vegetables), I used to put frozen spinach in the food processor until it was fine like herbs, and add it to spaghetti sauce. I wasn't fooling myself, but I couldn't taste it either. Now I have more ideas...especially as we explore eating healthier foods. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #27
Official Plant Nerd

This.... "When I was a vegetarian (who is not crazy about vegetables)".... made me bust a gut. You are like the last person in the world who could pull off being healthy on a vegetarian diet that's like reduced to 10 veggies!!!!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #28

Quote:
This.... "When I was a vegetarian (who is not crazy about vegetables)".... made me bust a gut. You are like the last person in the world who could pull off being healthy on a vegetarian diet that's like reduced to 10 veggies!!!!
Smile...vegetarians eat more than veggies, dear. cereals, peanuts, tree nuts, fruits. I even found a use for tofu...I used the creamy kind in place of ricotta in lasagna. I was not a bean and lentil kind of vegetarian and I included eggs and milk.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #29
Official Plant Nerd

Ya... I know but.... it still makes me laugh thinking about a vegetarian who doesn't like most veggies. You have to admit it is kinda funny!!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Ya... I know but.... it still makes me laugh thinking about a vegetarian who doesn't like most veggies. You have to admit it is kinda funny!!!!
Whatever works for you!

Tags
vegetables, winter