Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
Big Fat juicy WORM

Default Yes, Virginia there are things besides tomatoes out there!

Of course there are other veggies besides tomatoes, but they seem to be the favorite for most of us.

However, there are so many other neat things out there, not to mention the more exotic types. Always interesting, like giant monster pumpkins, white broccoli, yellow cauliflower, purple potatoes, red beans. And peppers that will not only open up your sinuses but melt your tongue! A veritable rainbow of vegetables and they taste sooooooooo much better when they're home grown!!

Reading through the catalogs is always a treat in the dead of winter, although it does cause some serious cases of "spring fever"! LOL
doccat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
Heron

I get all kinds of seed catalogues this time of year. I don't open them until after midnight, December 31, LOL! It's a tradition.

right now, in the greenhouse at school, I'm growing 5 heirloom tomato plants. They've all got large marble sized tomatoes on them. They're about 4 feet tall. Looking forward to tomatoes in Jan/Feb.
Prairiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
WG Guardian Spirit

I do grow tomatoes, and I like them a great deal. But I've considered them almost "condiments," and I've been trying to really supply our produce needs from my garden. So I plant more of other veggies: crowder peas, summer and winter squash, potatoes, and sweet potatoes are my "staples." Now that I've said that, though, I've been noticing how many cans of tomatoes I'm buying this winter. I think I'll plant more tomatoes and put up more of them next year. Time to start thinking of the tomatoes as another staple.

I'm looking for pattypan squash for next year, so if you guys see that in your seed catalogs, will you let me know which company? I only get a couple of the catalogs myself.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
WG Writer

pattypans are available from Parks Seed, but the seed is also readily available on the Walmart racks and the local co-op.

I am definitely growing my own tomatoes next year for eating and putting up - dehydrated for soups, and pressure canned.

This year I had a bout of Salmonella poisoning from Texas shrink wrapped tomatoes. I lost 30 lbs - fortunately I had it to spare - but its been a long time just getting my basic health back. No more store bought tomatoes for me.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
WG Guardian Spirit

Thanks for the info on Parks Seed! I didn't find pattypan at my local Walmart or the feed and seeds, so I may just order it. It seems to me it used to be easier to find, and I was surprised when I couldn't find it last year.

I'm using a lot of dehydrated tomatoes this winter -- Roma dry well for me. I didn't can anything, I'm ashamed to say, but I did fill my 25 foot freezer with everything but tomatoes. I'll can tomatoes next year, though.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Big Fat juicy WORM

Both Gurney's and Burpee sell pattypan seed as well. I'm starting to lean more and more to the organic seed, it is more expensive but I'm well satisfied with the amount and quality of produce I'm getting. Plus I save seed, so I usually have copious amounts to share. LOL
Old 12-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
WG Guardian Spirit

Oh, well. Told you I didn't get many seed catalogs. Thanks, guys!

Doccat: after two generations of saving seeds, my cheap Wal-mart seed descendents qualify as organic, right?
Old 12-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #8
Big Fat juicy WORM

I would certainly think so.........LOL
Old 12-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #9
WG Guardian Spirit

Oh, I meant seed generations, not people generations! Oops!

I think two generations of seeds is the minimum standard for selling seed as organic.

(Come to think of it, I do have some third-people-generation organic plants with my sweetshrubs, brought from my parent's home, where they planted some from my grandmother's. No food plants, though, and the sweetshrub is not from seed).
Old 12-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #10
Big Fat juicy WORM

I'll ask about that. I frequent another site that's basically vegetable gardeners who are doing not only seed saving but trying to duplicate many scarce heirloom variety vegetable plants. Sometimes the discussion is way, way over my head, but nice guys to talk to.

Tags
things, tomatoes, virginia