Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 07:39 AM   #1
WG Guardian Spirit

Talking Almost planting time!

...And I'll probably rush it a bit. February is time to plant lettuce, collards, turnips, spinach, radishes, etc. in middle Georgia. I'm in north Georgia. But hey, it's supposed to be warm this weekend, and, hey, Sunday is the first of February...

A few radish seeds wouldn't hurt anything, right? And maybe just a couple of collards? They like cold...

Oh, and some spinach. That's the bribe to get hubby to cooperate with the tiller.

It's too early. I know this. But maybe, just maybe, my plants wouldn't know it.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
Big Fat juicy WORM

Everything you mentioned are all cool temp lovers, so they should do just fine. What about carrots, parsnips and turnips? They taste better with a nip of frosty weather. I'm not a huge fan of parsnips, but home grown ones do really taste so much better. I found a Spiced Parsnip Soup recipe I want to try.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doccat5 View Post
Everything you mentioned are all cool temp lovers, so they should do just fine. What about carrots, parsnips and turnips? They taste better with a nip of frosty weather. I'm not a huge fan of parsnips, but home grown ones do really taste so much better. I found a Spiced Parsnip Soup recipe I want to try.
Have you tried parsnips cut in half lengthwise and roasted in the oven? That really brings out the flavor. BTW, I've had the best success growing parsnips by pre-sprouting seed on damp paper toweling, then sowing the sprouted seed (usually in very early April here) thinly (1.5" - 2" apart) in a bed that has been loosened with a garden fork to a depth of at least 10" -12". In late autumn, I cover any undug plants with a thick layer of leaves/straw. If weather threatens to get seriously cold, I place plastic sheeting over the mulch cover. This lets me dig parsnips all winter. I use a similar method for beets and carrots as well.
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
Big Fat juicy WORM

They are yummy that way, I like to mash em up and add some butter, and parsley or thyme to them. I'll post that parsnip soup recipe in recipe threads and y'all can make up your own mind if you want to try it. It look good!
Old 01-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
WG Guardian Spirit

Thing is, I already have seeds for collards, radishes (saved from last year's plants), and spinach. I know I have some turnip green seed somewhere, but I couldn't find it this past year, so I don't know why my luck should improve now! I heard a rumor you can eat the bottom of the turnip greens, too

I'm pretty sure I've never eaten a parsnip. What do they taste like?

If I have any seed left, I may plant some lettuce while I'm at it. The dandelion greens are growing unfazed now, so I don't see why my little guys would be different. If they'll germinate, that is. There's the rub.

Editing to say I just checked the weather -- warm Sunday and staying above freezing the next couple of nights, but lows down in the teens and twenties by midweek. Hmm. Dubious. But rain is forecast for Monday, so I wouldn't have to water (good, since my old battered hose pipe froze this winter and is probably now about as watertight as screen wire). What the heck, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
WG Facilitator

I don't even see "parsnip" listed on LSU's planting calendar. Any southern growers here with parsnip experience?

Tags
planting, time