Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default A compelling reason for all of us to consider growing our own

A compelling reason for all of us to consider growing our own

California drought may raise vegetable prices
Lack of rain compounded by changes in routing water to farmers
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28843318/
Quote:
California's sweeping Central Valley grows most of the country's fruits and vegetables in normal years, but this winter thousands of acres are turning to dust as the state hurtles into the worst drought in nearly two decades.

Federal officials' recent announcement that the water supply they pump through the nation's largest farm state would drop further was enough to move John Giacone to forego growing vegetables so he can save his share to drip-irrigate 1,000 acres of almond trees.

"Taking water from a farmer is like taking a pipe from a plumber," said Giacone, a fourth-generation farmer in the tiny community of Mendota. "How do you conduct business?"
The article in its entirety is a very good read.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

If we all grow our own, then farms won't be able to sell their crops or be able to buy more equipment, we won't need as many truckers or trucks, and markets won't have those great produce departments.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
Big Fat juicy WORM

Some how I have a tough time envisioning that happening any time in the future, Sage.

I can tell you as an organic veggie gardener, I've seen a big increase of plp who want to learn how to grow their own food without using pesticides etc. Which is quite a change for me, having been the local "nutso hippie" for so many years. LOL

I for see the use of water for the type of "farming" Staff quoted is going to get even tougher. Lack of rain fall is a major contributor to the problem. But waste of the available water is another one.
This is a very broad and complex subject with lots of different problems interlocked with each other. Try to get the "balance" back is going to be a long tough road to hoe.

We the public have become spoiled by having fresh fruits etc available year round, even if those foods are out of season. That may have to change to conserve resources like water, etc. Not to mention the fact we have no way of nothing, at least at this point in time, where those products are coming from. The latest samonella outbreak from the contaminated peanuts, I think really points out just how fragile our "food safety" system has become. Certainly scares the bejesus out of moi.

Off my soap box now........LOL
Old 01-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by doccat5 View Post
Some how I have a tough time envisioning that happening any time in the future, Sage.

Off my soap box now........LOL
Just pullin' yer leg, doccat, playing devil's advocate, cuz I'm bored!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
Heron

Goodness, you got doc on her soap box again. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it's always interesting.

There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling. ~Mirabel Osler

LadySapphire22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:10 AM   #6
WG Operations, Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doccat5 View Post
I can tell you as an organic veggie gardener, I've seen a big increase of plp who want to learn how to grow their own food without using pesticides etc. Which is quite a change for me, having been the local "nutso hippie" for so many years. LOL
doccat5-
I've always been known as "the plant nut case" by my friends and family.

Kinda funny though, last spring when I had 100's of heirloom vegetable seedlings in my greenhouse, several of my friends and family members took a box of seedlings home with them after asking lots of gardening questions and picking my brain for growing tips. Yes, what an about face from those who once called me the "plant nut case." Of course I offered encouragement and easy instructions.

All have asked me about obtaining seedlings for this coming spring. So I've progressed on to turning them all into seedling starters and seed savers by sharing my heirloom seeds. Pass it on I say!

Really though, the vegetable produce, especially fruits have become incredibly high priced already in our local grocery stores. As prices continue to rise, more people will take up gardening. I see this as a good thing and will always be more than happy to share my gardening knowledge with those who need it.

BooBooBearBecky
Old 02-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post
several of my friends and family members took a box of seedlings home with them after asking lots of gardening questions and picking my brain for growing tips. Yes, what an about face from those who once called me the "plant nut case."
You go, girl. Corrupt 'em all! Turn them all into gardeners.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
The Bug Whisperer

During three years of participating in our county farm market, I've noticed an ever increasing percentage of customers inquiring a to whether produce is organically grown. There definitely is increasing interest here in WV in buying and utilizing locally grown produce. We have indeed become spoiled by ready availability of 'out-of-season' produce; I've become much more careful about checking labels for place of origin when purchasing grocery items.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
Unicellular Fungi

Out of season produce is the worst yet we buy it. Why? I keep reminding myself not to buy it but the temption is there. No taste or poor taste but I keep hoping the next batch will be different. It never is. I try to buy organic when it is available. It isn't always available. That article sums up why I am trying to learn to grow and preserve some of my own fruits and veggies.

Tags
compelling, growing, reason