Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Saving seed from zucchini question

I saved one ‘Black Beauty’ zucchini from the plant that produced the best tasting zucchini. I’ve saved seed before from native plants but we’re not talking anything “fleshy”. I was just planning on rinsing them off and removing the flesh then letting em dry out like they were pumpkin seeds. Anything else I should do other than label the seed and call it a day? I read at Country Living Skills that we’re supposed to only save seeds “from fruits that have surpassed maturity by 3 weeks already”. Why?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:20 AM   #2
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I saved one ‘Black Beauty’ zucchini from the plant that produced the best tasting zucchini. I’ve saved seed before from native plants but we’re not talking anything “fleshy”. I was just planning on rinsing them off and removing the flesh then letting em dry out like they were pumpkin seeds. Anything else I should do other than label the seed and call it a day? I read at Country Living Skills that we’re supposed to only save seeds “from fruits that have surpassed maturity by 3 weeks already”. Why?
Two comments:
(1) If there were any other members of the squash family in the vicinity of your zucchini, the plants you get from your saved seed may not be what you expect as cross-pollination is very common.

(2) The fruit that you save seed from need to be fully mature in order to ensure that the seeds within them will have completed their development, and will be viable.

Good luck and have fun !!

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Gotcha. Wouldn't the tulle I put over the striped Italian zucchini plants stop that or no? I want the two straight just like I want my tomatoes straight. I use the Black Beauty for baking and the Striped Italian for main meals and casseroles and you get what I mean. Does this seed look ok to you or will I be spinning my wheels planting it next year?
Attached Thumbnails
Saving seed from zucchini question-black-beauty-zucchini-seed.jpg  
Old 10-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
WG Operations, Facilitator

Equilibrium,
The tulle shoud successfully keep cross pollination from ocurring as long as all blossoms were covered.

If you do end up with a crossed species, you will be the proud inventor of a brand new vegetable!

Most of the saved seeds in your photo look mature to me. The darker seeds look more mature than the lighter seeds.

You can ususally tell if a seed is viable by holding it between your thumb and forefinger. If the shell of the seed feels empty, then the inner seed either did not develop or is immature. If the shell of the seed feels "plump," then the inner seed is mature.

It's easier to sort mature seeds from immature seeds after they have completely dried.

You can also do a test germination to determine if your seeds are mature enough to save. Just stick a few in a damp paper towl and put inside a ziplock bag. Put the baggie in a warm place for a few days, then start checking on it for emerging sprouts.

Sprouting seeds indicates good viabilty, but you probably already knew that!
Old 10-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

I think I’m screwed based on what you just told me. Gimme an hour so I can run to a store to be sure then I'll take some photos and show you.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

Like I said.... I'm screwed. I buzzed on over to pick up a pack of seeds to get a visual on what you were telling me since I knew they had them in a box trying to get rid of them for .25˘ a pack and I'm thinking I did a REAL good job stopping the cross pollination between my 'Black Beauty' and my 'Italian Stripe'. So good.... I stopped the pollinators from getting to the 'Black Beauty'. Tulle works!!! My 'Black Beauty seed is totally toast.... no point trying to "test" germinate the seed I cleaned and saved. The 'Italian Stripe' will be ok since it wasn't under wraps. I guess if you're gonna stop cross pollination you better remember to step in and pollinate what's under the tulle. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. What's adding insult to injury here is I shoulda known better since I hand pollinate native species!!!
adding.... my seed's on the left. epic **FAIL**
Attached Thumbnails
Saving seed from zucchini question-lifeless-zucchini-seed.jpg   Saving seed from zucchini question-store-bought-zucchini-seed-nice-plum.jpg  
Old 10-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
WG Operations, Facilitator

oops! Well at least you tried. Live and Learn eh?
Old 10-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
WG Facilitator

Looks like the ones on the left are good candidates for a roasting - maybe they'll be as good as pumpkin seeds roasted.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:51 AM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

Ha ha ha ha!!! Live and learn.... that I did... that I did. Good judgment comes from experience which.... comes from bad judgment. The seed from the 'Italian Stripe' should be viable. biig> the old lemons from lemonade, eh? Sure.... I'll try it. It's not like those seeds are gonna germinate or anything.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:36 AM   #10
Too Wild To Garden

Hi!
I need some nice Zucchini seeds for my garden farm. Can I get some from friends in exchange with some other seeds?
seedlover7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dried, dry, drying, germination, harvest, harvesting, harvesting seed, question, save, save seeds, saving, seed, seed saving, seeds, sprout, sprouting, viability, viable, zucchini