Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
Carbon

Default Strange winter squash variety

Hi everyone,

I had a squash plant grow on my property "by accident". I never planted the seeds to grow this plant, although I did bury squash seeds from store-bought varieties to compost them. I purchased the typical squash varieties last year: acorn, delicata, butternut, and spaghetti. What grew, however, is a squash I've never seen before. It is closest to an acorn squash in coloration but is elongated, without the latitudinal ridges. Not an acorn shape as you can see at first glance. It has the typical russeting spot and inside the flesh was pale. Watery and not sweet.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Curiously yours,
Elaine
Attached Thumbnails
Strange winter squash variety-p8030408.jpg   Strange winter squash variety-p8030406.jpg  
Penny19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Hi Elaine,

I'm really not sure, and hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd guess that it crossed with another squash variety. Kind of like apples, I think if you plant (for example) a apple seed from a Fuji apple, it will not be the (eventual) fruit will not be the same Fuji that you planted. I could be way off on this 'though.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Hi Elaine,

I'm really not sure, and hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd guess that it crossed with another squash variety. Kind of like apples, I think if you plant (for example) a apple seed from a Fuji apple, it will not be the (eventual) fruit will not be the same Fuji that you planted. I could be way off on this 'though.
That's what I was thinking, but I'm wondering how this could have happened. Is this a new variety I should trademark or something?
Old 08-13-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Looks like a long acorn squash!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:02 AM   #5
The Bug Whisperer

Members of the squash family are notoriously promiscuous, which is why seed-saving for them can be quite problematic unless you can keep varieties well isolated. My guess here is that it is a zucchini-winter squash combination...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

You know.... that makes sense since zucchini and squash are both curcurbits and zucchini could have been in bloom at the same time one of the squash she bought was in bloom. I kept looking at that wondering first off what does a delicata look like since I've never bought one. I wonder what a Zuash squicchini tastes like. Penny19> I compost everything I can get my grubby little hands on and my composter comes alive too. I've had watermelon, zucchini, cantaloupe, honeydew, and just about everything sprouting in the composter. I think it's kinda funny. I try to start the seed inside and they damp off or a cat uses the tray as a litter box and all I really should've been doing is tossing the seed I wanted to grow in my composter.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #7
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
You know.... that makes sense since zucchini and squash are both curcurbits and zucchini could have been in bloom at the same time one of the squash she bought was in bloom. I kept looking at that wondering first off what does a delicata look like since I've never bought one. I wonder what a Zuash squicchini tastes like. Penny19> I compost everything I can get my grubby little hands on and my composter comes alive too. I've had watermelon, zucchini, cantaloupe, honeydew, and just about everything sprouting in the composter. I think it's kinda funny. I try to start the seed inside and they damp off or a cat uses the tray as a litter box and all I really should've been doing is tossing the seed I wanted to grow in my composter.
I thought about it being some type of zucchini/squash hybrid except that I'm not growing any zucchini or any other kind of squash. I am growing cucumber, though not right next to this plant. Maybe that's the answer.

This is a delicata squash, one of my favorites. It's small and sweet. I haven't grown any but recommend them.
Attached Thumbnails
Strange winter squash variety-squash_delicata.jpg  
Old 08-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

You buried store bought varieties.... probably after you scooped out and composted the seeds and ate the rest so it's not so much what you would've been growing next to your home grown squash but what the grower would've been growing next to the squash you bought and.... cucumber is a curcubit too so anything's possible. Have you done a taste test yet??? Maybe your taste buds will tell you if you've got a Cuash zucumber or a Zuash squicchini. Thanks for the photo. I've never tried a delicata. I don't even think I've ever seen them for sale around me. Now watch.... I'll see them in a bin at Jewel tomorrow and I'll buy a few!!! How do you prepare those? Do you have like a special recipe? I know I cook each variety a little different and you probably do too.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny19 View Post
I thought about it being some type of zucchini/squash hybrid except that I'm not growing any zucchini or any other kind of squash. I am growing cucumber, though not right next to this plant. Maybe that's the answer.

The hybrid would have happened when the original acorn squash made seeds. If you bought it at a store or farmer's market, who knows what it crossed with while growing. That acorn squash would look like and acorn squash, but *seeds* from it could be a hybrid between it and a zucchini (or something else).

I don't think it can cross with a cucumber. ~smile~

Hope this helps.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
Carbon

Thanks for your insight, dapjwy and equilibrium. I understand. Since I don't have any other varieties planted nearby, I don't think I can make another new hybrid - boo hoo.

I did eat the new hybrid and it was overly watery and not very sweet, so I think the zucchini connection is likely. I baked it, but I think i should have cut it up and steamed it like zucchini. That's the problem when you don't really know what something is: you don't know how to prepare it right!

The delicata squash I ate last year were so sweet that I just baked them in the rind and scooped it out as is. A family member preferred the squash with brown sugar and butter, but that, to me, was unneeded icing on the cake.

Tags
acorn, butternut, delicata, fruit, spaghetti, squash, squash fruit, squash plant, strange, varieties, variety, winter, winter squash