Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny19 View Post
Thanks for your insight, dapjwy and equilibrium. I understand. Since I don't have any other varieties planted nearby, I don't think I can make another new hybrid - boo hoo.

I did eat the new hybrid and it was overly watery and not very sweet, so I think the zucchini connection is likely. I baked it, but I think i should have cut it up and steamed it like zucchini. That's the problem when you don't really know what something is: you don't know how to prepare it right!
No problem. Too bad it wasn't something more special, because with nothing around to cross with it, you may have been able to grow the same thing from seed--although, I'd guess there'd still be some variability anyway.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #12
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny19 View Post
That's the problem when you don't really know what something is: you don't know how to prepare it right!
When you get another mystery food to try, try it two ways.

I had a small pumpkin and since we're always on a kinda-diet, didnt' want to do the pumpkin pie thing. So I steamed it, peeled and cubed it, cooked half as a vegetable one night, and the other half with apples and pie spices the next. That might not be such a good choice if you have a large family. . .
Old 08-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

Perfect timing for your info!!! "The delicata squash I ate last year were so sweet that I just baked them in the rind and scooped it out as is. A family member preferred the squash with brown sugar and butter, but that, to me, was unneeded icing on the cake." That's how I bake acorn squash. I've got two delicatas from Woodman's and I'll bake them with just a little butter and a few seasonings. We're not really into the brown sugar but the kids always were. I'll look around online and see if there are any more delicata recipes to try.

Tags
acorn, butternut, delicata, fruit, spaghetti, squash, squash fruit, squash plant, strange, varieties, variety, winter, winter squash