Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 12:50 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default 'Purple Vienna' Kohlrabi

I bought some from a Farmer's Market. It was beautiful and the bottoms looked like someone carved designs into them. This is the first time I've seen Kohlrabi like this. I'd be interested in who's growing it.... how they're growing it and.... what they're growing it with if anyone has time.
Attached Thumbnails
'Purple Vienna' Kohlrabi-purple-vienna-kohlrabi.jpg  
Old 07-25-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I bought some from a Farmer's Market. It was beautiful and the bottoms looked like someone carved designs into them. This is the first time I've seen Kohlrabi like this. I'd be interested in who's growing it.... how they're growing it and.... what they're growing it with if anyone has time.
Beautiful!

I am hardly one to give gardening advice--I talk a good game but, other than peas and asparagus, I've not had much luck. Actually, I've not put much time into the vegetable gardening and only planted a few things. I was just using the soil that is here in the garden plots; I really have to amend it more. I'm trying the lasagna method.

Anyway, I've grown the green kohlrabi. I think that was two years ago and I did get to harvest it. My father always said it was a cold-weather crop. That is about all I know and I probably should have planted mine earlier...not sure about companion plants. Speaking of cold weather crops, I'm thinking I should add kohlrabi to my fall garden--I did put in some more peas last week. I think this is the first time I tried a fall garden.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
WG Facilitator

It's beautiful. What do you do with a kohlrabi? What does it taste like?
Old 07-26-2010, 06:36 AM   #4
Grub

yes I grow it ..it is very easy to grow here! considered a cool weather crop so I plant it in the spring and then again now actually (I just planted the second crop)
I just put it in like you would broccoli or cauliflower (the plants are much smaller however so you can fit more in) I broadcast the seeds then thin to two or three per square foot as they grow ..I like it raw in a salad ..or just peel and eat them.boil them ..escallop them ...or it can be part of a roasted root vegetable mix ...you can cook them anyway you would cook a root vegetable .or broccoli ...it tastes to me very similar to the peeled stalk of a broccoli
there are tons of German recipes for it as I think it is pretty popular there

it is easy to grow ..fun and very good right out of the garden! just peel and eat!
Heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:59 AM   #5
The Bug Whisperer

I grow it also here in WV, but it doesn't really like hot summers. When conditions are right, they can reach quite an impressive size while remaining tender and edible. I like kohlrabi either raw or steamed.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
It's beautiful. What do you do with a kohlrabi? What does it taste like?

I have always eaten it raw, and like Heidi says, it tastes like the raw, peeled inside core of a broccoli stalk--if you've ever tasted that.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:15 AM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

dapjwy> did you companion plant anything with your kohlrabi? Heidi> "it is easy to grow ..fun and very good right out of the garden! just peel and eat!" Oh wonderful.... maybe they won't rot in the ground on me and I'll have a new snack food when I'm outside. suunto> "When conditions are right, they can reach quite an impressive size while remaining tender and edible." I'm glad to hear this. If I forget it by accident.... which I've done before with other things I plant.... at least it will still be edible.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:15 AM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

Recipe: What to do with Kohlrabi? Puree it! He includes a decent looking recipe and there are some comments that offered up other ideas, Farmgirl Fare: Recipe: What To Do With Kohlrabi? Purée It!. I'm still laughing at the comment that "calories don't actually count if you've snitched the food from someone else's plate."
Old 07-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #9

Quote:
dapjwy> did you companion plant anything with your kohlrabi? ...
I'm embarrassed to say that I've put very little time and energy into my vegetable garden. The "garden" I've put in the past couple of years have been very sparse and spotty. In the past I've crowded things together, but did very little research on companion plants...I'm still experiementing with that.

Other than peas and asparagus, I've planted little else that has done well. ...actually, I've planted little else in general. Maybe next year.
Hopefully someone else can give you a good answer.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Recipe: What to do with Kohlrabi? Puree it! He includes a decent looking recipe and there are some comments that offered up other ideas, Farmgirl Fare: Recipe: What To Do With Kohlrabi? Purée It!. I'm still laughing at the comment that "calories don't actually count if you've snitched the food from someone else's plate."
The puree recipe sounds interesting, but I love it raw!

Tags
cook, edible, edibles, flavor, food, garden, kohlrabi, kohlrabi plant, preparation, purple, purple vienna, purple vienna kohlrabi, taste, vegetable, vegetable garden, vegetables, vienna