Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

View Poll Results: Who inspired you to start gardening?
relative, significant other- Why? 8 30.77%
friend, co-worker, neighbor, teacher, etc. etc.- Why? 3 11.54%
self- Why? 15 57.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
Salamander

Default What inspired you to start gardening?

For real. What inspired you to start? Was it something you read or a friend but what was it that made you want to grow your own vegetables?
Old 03-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
WG Operations, Facilitator

I was inspired to start gardening because of my husband's quest for tasty salsa. So started my very first vegetable garden, and had much success......that's 56 quarts of salsa sucess! LOL.

From there I expanded to landscape plants, then expanded even further into native plants once I moved to a wooded area.

The symbiotic relationship between native plants and the woodland wildlife is simply magical. Now I'm a native plant nut.

BooBooBearBecky
Old 03-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
WG Writer

I was inspired to start a vegetable garden by the low quality of produce in the store.
Also I bought a dehydrator a few years ago which means if I have 200 zuchini squash at the same time, I can preserve them all. Some with cabbage, carrots or what ever. It all can be preserved in limited space in may freezer with no preservatives == and a lot more variety than I can find at the local grocery.

Also, with age, Im more concerned with staying healthy. I eat as many different fruits and vegetables as I can find. I don't eat junk any more. No need. My food stash tastes better. Sweet potato chips, anyone?
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
Fox

carrot Parents

I blame it on my parents. (it's okay, they're gone now!) Raised me on fresh and preserved garden vegetables. Also, I was raised a farm boy, so working the soil is in my blood.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
Carbon

Me too! Raised on a farm with a huge garden that provided all our veggies for a year by canning.
I don't like the idea of buying tasteless produce raised with chemicals either.
Annetel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
WG Writer

Me too! Farm raised.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

City raised .....Mom MADE us weed the garden because it was OUR food. Hated every sand coated sweaty moment.....
Grew up, married, bought a home,planted dianthus, Father in law commented how pretty they were and there was no stopping me ... Bulbs, flowers, and fruit trees were planted wherever they fit... The next year I dug out sod and put in a 10x10 garden of my own. Ohhhh the sweet flavor of a fresh tomato, the crunch of a cuke, the sweetness of raw peas..... I was hooked. I learned how to can the excess alongside of father. Still can when I can, can!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

I think like most of corn fed kids I just assumed that's what everyone did. We had a kitchen garden and a root cellar and my mom put up our food like my grandmother before her and all our neighbors. Problem was I never paid attention to the "process" and then before I knew it we were living in the city where the grocery stores had everything. So I'm getting a late start. Better late than never.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
Carbon

I purchased 6 acres of land in the countryside, and decided to try attracting as much wildlife as possible with native plants. I'm still working on it.
jopye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:55 PM   #10
Garden Angel

Perverse story. My brother is 8 years older than I. When I was 3 almost 4, I was put to work breaking ground in the garden. My brother put a pitchfork through his shoe (no permanent damage) and had to sit that session out. Mom said "let's call it a day" and I, sensing opportunity to establish something I could do better than my brother, begged to complete it.

And here I am, with all my toes and still very wary of the pitchfork.
CincyGarden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flower gardens, garden, gardening, gardening inspiration, inspiration, inspired, start, start gardening, vegetable gardens