Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

View Poll Results: Who inspired you to start gardening?
relative, significant other- Why? 8 30.77%
friend, co-worker, neighbor, teacher, etc. etc.- Why? 3 11.54%
self- Why? 15 57.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 06:54 AM   #11
Salamander

I just grew up that way.

My parents have a farm and a large garden, and growing up, we kids helped with both; working ground, clearing stones/rocks out of new fields, planting, riding along on the combine for company, baling hay, and lots of garden tasks, too.

My favorite garden tasks to this day are probably picking and shelling lima beans at the farm--only now my children help, too.
Nothing tastes as good as freshly picked, lightly cooked, home-grown Eastern Shore limas!
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #12
Salamander

When I was about 7, my Uncle Sam gave me some little cactus starts. I still have the decendants of one of those little cactus pups, 29 years later. It's a little cactus, I think one of the mammallaria type (looks a lot like Mammillaria prolifera On-line Guide to the positive identification of Members of the Cactus Family). It's cute - grows pups from the areoles, and those grow pups, which grow pups - it's a mound of cactus. Luckily my parents encouraged my interests. When I was in 4th grade I did my science project on cacti - I used my little cacti in it. (Had a lot of fun with it.) Uncle Sam has been gone about 20 years now, but these little cacti keep him around.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:28 AM   #13
Grub

My mother inspired me to garden....we grew up in the heart of Chicago...but mom always had tomatoes in the garden and also some flowers.

Mom taught me about canning and also stretching a dollar.

I also spent my summers being passed between the farms of my aunts and uncles in Southern IL...we would help in the fields and around the animals..

I now eat a LOT of my summer meals from the garden...in this tough economy with theh pay cuts I have taken...growing some of my own food makes so much sense..
schphgochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #14
Grub

so many reasons I started in milk crates on balconies and now have much more space

1.. I adore food and love to cook so growing tomatoes were my reason for starting a garden .....a must ..I read somewhere I think it was the Seattle Times ( I am sorry I can not give a direct quote) that "tomatoes are the gateway drug to gardening" ..it is true!!! Even the heirlooms you buy at the farmers market can not compare to the ones you pluck yourself ...omg the last tomato of the season makes my husband and I get tears in our eyes because we know how long we will wait before the next one ...I just gave up buying them entirely now ..what is worth having is worth waiting for I htink ...then of course garlic..omg how fun is garlic to grow??? ..herbs..more vegetables..fruit trees on and on and on ...for sure not cost effective to me as long as they keep sellling things I will keep working to buy them!!!

2.... provide a place in a fairly urban setting to let wildlife be at peace

3... I love flowers and hope someday to have them blooming year around!

this year my goal are onions ...I know for most they are old hat but for me I always could buy wonderful local onions so cheap that it seemed I should focus on growing things I could not buy

well then I started some from some seed someone gave me and it took literally three years to get a few onions ..then I saw it as a challenge so this year three beds are onions ..even some Walla Walla that I am trying to trick into thinking they are east of the mountains

so yes I am Heidi and I am a gardening addict ..for many reasons
Heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #15
Unicellular Fungi

Ever since I can remember I have had the overwhelming urge to plant things. I loved to be in the garden as a child and never minded the endless weeding and planting. I could stay in the garden and do nothing else for days on end. I've been told that I am obsessed with it. Maybe so.
rainin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #16
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGarden View Post
And here I am, with all my toes and still very wary of the pitchfork.
That's a very good thing!
Old 04-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #17
WG Facilitator

I grew up on a farm, and we always had a large garden. As farmers, there is not always money. When things were tight, supper was farm-raised beef, rice we grew, home-canned snap beans and pickled beets. Not bad for a scrimping type of meal, eh?

Today's garden is 200 x 30 and will mostly go to the local soup kitchens. This year I put in about 25 fruit trees, and that many small fruits - grapes, blackberries, raspberries. I'm sure they'll be thrilled to see fruit in a few years. They're grateful for the veggies now.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #18
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

It was probably my grandfather. Every summer would be some holiday that would demand dinner at my grandparents home. And he had a patch of raspberries that we'd all devourer. It's what made me want a raspberry patch of my own and that's where I started.

I've since moved on to other berries that "I don't like," which I seem to say about everything I haven't tried. Blueberries actually don't taste particularly great but I find I can never stop eating them.
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #19
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Unlike most of you I grew up in the suburbs and my parents never gardened. Never even owned a houseplant. When at 16 I decided to become a vegetarian I talked my parents into cutting down a huge silver maple so I could plant a vegetable garden in the back yard. The rest is history. Plants have been my life since then. It's in my blood but I have no idea what genes I inherited to make it so, I think it was just my own doing.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #20
Garden Angel

Did your parents carry on veggie gardening, if you don't mind my asking?

Tags
flower gardens, garden, gardening, gardening inspiration, inspiration, inspired, start, start gardening, vegetable gardens