Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
WG Facilitator

Default Chile Relleno on the stalk

The fresh new displays of seed are out in the stores, slowing down my shopping sprints a lot. I gave in to their tempting this time-came home with Poblano peppers. I've never made my own chile rellenos before, but I hope to make some this summer.
biigblueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
Unicellular Fungi

Fresh new displays of seeds are my downfall too. Ours haven't come out yet but they will in another month I think.

I tried growing my first peppers last year. I'll try again. The peppers were fun to grow. I picked up a few recipes for them which is why I'm trying them again this coming year.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
WG Facilitator

Hmmm. . . recipes tempting enough to get you to grow them again. . . .what kind of recipes?
Old 01-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Unicellular Fungi

Ugh, I've got all my cookbooks spread out on the counter top looking for that vinegar recipe. I've been slipping scraps of paper and recipe cards everywhere. I really should take the time to organize this mess. I'll know where one of those chili pepper recipes is and I have another one in an e-mail. Two I can get for you.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
WG Facilitator

Really - don't go through any more trouble for the vinegar recipe. I think we were talking about olive oil anyway, but I've made them before and can wing it if you dont' have a favorite recipe handy. If you find the pepper recipes, or remember the name of the dish, I'll take those!
Old 01-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
Big Fat juicy WORM

Some good info and recipes on this site

http://www.pablano.com/

I do so love Google! LOL
doccat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
Grub

It took me 20 years to figure out how to make chile rellenos. I once had this at a small restaurant in Hood River, Oregon, and I was never able to find anything as good in various other restaurants over the years. Finally, I had to make my own. For what its worth, here goes: Begin with about a dozen poblano peppers. Split them, take out the seeds, and roast them until the skin is bubbled and blackened. We roast them in a gas oven broiler, no fat is involved. After they cool, put them in a plastic bag for 30 minutes, to soften the skins. Remove from bag, and peel. The hard part is over, the rest is easy. Layer the peppers in a glass baking dish, with shredded Montery Jack or a similar cheese. Multiple layers, maybe 4 layers high. Pour a mixture of beaten eggs with a little milk over the casserole, and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 40 minutes. Try not to overcook the eggs. The casserole should be long on chili peppers, and short on cheese, for the best flavor. This is adult food, it might not appeal to children. The flavor of the roasted chiles will dominate. Serve warm with salsa of your choice.
erictjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #8
Big Fat juicy WORM

And it's probably a real good idea to wear rubber gloves when you handle any type of spicy pepper. I learned the hard way, that was not fun
doccat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
Unicellular Fungi

Never did find the rosemary recipe so I winged it. It's over in the recipes forum. Did find some of the chilies recipes. They're over there too. Ta da!

Hi ericjohnson, your recipe looks really good. You should go stick it over with the others so everyone can find it. What kind of salsa recipes do you have?
Old 01-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
WG Facilitator

Thanks, to all of you. Guess I need to go start those pepper plants to try all of your recipes. . .

Tags
chile, relleno, stalk