Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
Pope

Default Certified Organic seed potatoes

I am in Maine for the holiday, and just learned of a mail-order source here for certified organic seed potatoes (they also sell lots of other organic vegetable seed). Maybe some of you already know this farm?

Wood Prairie Farm Wood Prairie Farm - Certified Organic Farm in Northern Maine
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:22 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

I've never heard of them but... that doesn't mean much since I haven't exactly been into veggies. There's a variety suunto told me to get listed and... they're selling potato seeds. There's a new member from the Bahamas that couldn't get her hands on potatoes because of obvious problems with importing the eyes. Maybe you should find her and let her know this Wood Prairie Farm is selling seed. Maybe she can mail order it from them legally. She'd have to check before ordering.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:03 AM   #3
WG Facilitator

Unless I'm missing somthing. . .

Seed potatoes are not potato seed. Here's an article that gives step-by-step instructions on how to cut your potatoes to make seed potatoes. Fall Planting Potatoes

Quote:
When the potatoes sprout, ideally when sprouts are 1/4" out, you are ready to cut your seed. The pieces should be about1.5-2 ozs--about the size of a small egg. Small potatoes about that size can be planted whole. The cut pieces should be block shaped-no thin slices- with at least one eye or sprout but two are preferred. When cutting larger potatoes it is preferable to make a lengthwise cut at the top to divide the sprouts that usually cluster there, then make crosswise cuts to divide the rest into two-eye or one-eye blocks. Try to have a part of the center core of the potato in each piece. One pound of potatoes should produce 8-10 seeds.

Last edited by biigblueyes; 12-31-2009 at 08:03 AM. Reason: add quote
biigblueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
Pope

I think that biigblueyes is right--they are not actually seeds but potato parts.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
WG Facilitator

You're supposed to cut them a few days before to let them scab over - to help prevent rot. The ones that aren't much bigger than an egg can be left whole.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

Bummer... here I thought I was onto something for that member in the Bahamas when I read the word seeds.

Tags
certified, organic, potatoes, seed