Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Vegetables other than tomatoes (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/vegetables-other-than-tomatoes/)
-   -   Great pumpkins (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/vegetables-other-than-tomatoes/4010-great-pumpkins.html)

Hedgerowe 10-06-2009 08:02 PM

Great pumpkins

4 Attachment(s)
For those of you enamored of pumpkin el gordo (you know who you are), I present to you the first gargantuan pumpkin that I have come across this season.Attachment 9599 Attachment 9598

And here he is with a few of his amigos.Attachment 9600

And credit where it is due...Attachment 9601

Pumpkins courtesy of the Chicago Botanic Garden.

havalotta 10-06-2009 09:27 PM

I like that melty looking one.

Equilibrium 10-06-2009 10:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Giant pumpkins are so cool. I got a photo of some bigguns too. I don't know how people find the space to grow them this size and I don't know how they move them around but wouldn't one of these make a great jack o' lantern for your front door... all you'd need would be a fork lift to move it around. I think I have some pastey eerie looking white bigguns. I'll have to look for those photos.

Quietman 10-07-2009 03:28 AM

New world record just set here in Ohio

Video here. Old record was 1689 pounds, for the last several years. Another good video
Forces of darkness aligned and amassed against me and my Atlantic Giant pumpkins. Early on, the baby plants were hammered by slugs. The survivors of that nightmare became "chew toys" for the fox kits that grew up on the property this last spring and summer (one of the baby foxes ended up in the July photo of the month, however). :bang

The lone surviving plant struggled in intensive care, finally recovering late in the season. :sick2 It could hit about 200 pounds before Halloween.

Much like our Cleveland Browns, "There's always next season!"

Lastly, this might make you think twice BEFORE this year. ;)

Quietman
(Second to last post as a grub)

P.S. Hedgerowe, thank you for posting those pics! If I have time this evening, I'll post a few from the local Hunstburg Pumpkin Festival I attended this last weekend, complete with pumpkin cannon, wet bonnet contest, etc.

Hedgerowe 10-07-2009 05:25 AM

Too funny as usual Mr. Quietman, although I had not thought about the annual carnage of the pumpkins before. I'll never look at a jack-o-lantern the same way again. Now halloween is even scarier!

Looking forward to seeing you in a new, superior life form later today.

suunto 10-07-2009 07:32 AM

Every once in a while, I try to grow Atlantic Giants, but the heaviest one I ever got was a measly 285 lbs. This years' attempt was a total flop, as the vines all died before the first pumpkin could set. :crying Maybe next year...

Hedgerowe 10-07-2009 08:22 AM

Quote:

...a measly 285 lbs.
I have to ask: What does one do with a 285 lbs. pumpkin?

havalotta 10-07-2009 10:11 AM

My son grew one ALMOST 300#'s. He tended to it faithfully. After it hardened he pushed it onto a tarp and pulled the tarp onto a childs sled to move it up front for Halloween. He was so proud of that and saved it in the garage! I made him him move it out mid winter. I was afraid of it getting soft and could only imagine him pushing with all his might and then have the thing collapse with him now inside the mushy thing. We slide it up a ramp into a flatbed and then after cutting a big chunk out of the top (For cooking and freezing pieces for future pies) set it free watching it roll down a big hill at camp to feed the deer for the winter.

biigblueyes 10-07-2009 10:32 AM

Cool thing to do with a pumpkin after halloween!

havalotta 10-07-2009 10:39 AM

I made 10 pies with just the small cap I kept!